11 Cylinder Big Block 2 Stroke

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Here you go, how's this for a valve. Anytime someone ask me what its out of I always tell them its out of a 409, HA. Years ago I worked on the river and it came out of a towboat with a big Cooper Bessemer inline diesel, if I remember correctly I think it was an 8 cylinder.

tempImagewNm55E.jpgtempImagewSBmw1.jpg

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Here you go, how's this for a valve. Anytime someone ask me what its out of I always tell them its out of a 409, HA. Years ago I worked on the river and it came out of a towboat with a big Cooper Bessemer inline diesel, if I remember correctly I think it was an 8 cylinder.

View attachment 93413View attachment 93414
Looks familiar. I worked on Cooper Bessemer powered ship in 63. I used to have a broken piston top that I used for a dog dish that was about 12 " diameter as I recall.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Looks familiar. I worked on Cooper Bessemer powered ship in 63. I used to have a broken piston top that I used for a dog dish that was about 12 " diameter as I recall.
I was about 20 when I got that thing and was amazed at how big it was. I guess when I was younger I never imagined an internal combustion engine on that large of a scale, it is fun telling people its out of a 409 and watching their reaction.

427John

Well Known Member
Sounds like a Cole-Pilstik engine something like a 5' stroke,if they have trouble with a cylinder at sea they have the ability to pull the rod cap on the offending cylinder pull the piston to the top of its bore plug the oil passages on that throw and restart the engine.