12 bolt rear end

cliff-1972

Well Known Member
I had to mod my driveshaft tunnel with my 9" swap.I am using a one piece driveshaft also.I bent one shaft so far due to rear end shift,that has been fixed though.I am running a N case,4.33 gears,Detroit locker and resplined 1.5 dia. 31 spline axles.I still have the three link though,will be changing that over the winter.

cliff-1972

Well Known Member
Here pics of the 9" I built.

Attachments

• impala 022.jpg
    impala 022.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 105
  • impala 017.jpg
    impala 017.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 107
  • impala 018.jpg
    impala 018.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 123

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I got a twelve bolt for the 62 from DTS. It pretty much bolted right in and it came set up for a second upper arm. I say "pretty much" bolted in because I had to do a little bit of grinding on one of the brackets. No big deal, just a few minutes work. But I also ordered it with the aluminum rear cover that helps support the bearing caps and I had to mill it down so that the panhard bar would clear. If I was doing it again I'd stick with a regular rear cover.
http://www.dtscustom.com/index.html

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Global West has come out with some new items for our cars. Here is a link to what they have to offer. I like their front mount set up for the upper bar. They also offer a interesting brace for the upper bar mount.
http://www.globalwest.net/1958-64 Impala Suspension Components.htm

Hi Don

Thanks for this link. I noticed they supply a bracket for the upper control arm chassis connection. By lowering the upper control at this point are you achieving the same goal as raising the upper control arm on the diff? :scratch

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What size tubing and HEIM joints did you use on the upper bars?

Has anyone done a four link using bars upper and lower with coil overs?

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6

you mean like this?
under my white 63. upper bars are 1.25 x .090 chromemoly with CM / teflon linered 3/4 x 3/4 rod ends. the lowers are 1.375 x .090 Cm bars with 3/4 x 5/8 CM rod ends.
all the lower brackets and mounting points are stock 63 chevy. the lower bolts are 4-1/2 x 5/8 grade 8
the shox are Strange double adjustables. the upper mounts i fabbed from 3/16 CM plate, but are basically in the stock location on the frame end, and located directly above the housing instaed of behind like a stocker.
In place of a panhard bar......a CM wishbone assy. a kit from Comp Engineering. anti roll bar is CM as well and is also a kit from Comp Eng.
the brakes are Wilwood and the rear assy is all Strange 35 spline stuff meant to handle a whipping.
for the first time in my life, i have an Impala that i can drop the hammer on with no worries.

Attachments

• MVC-011F.JPG
    MVC-011F.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 139
  • MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 137
  • MVC-008F.JPG
    MVC-008F.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 125
  • MVC-010F.JPG
    MVC-010F.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 124
  • MVC-015F.JPG
    MVC-015F.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 112

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Beautiful workmanship Bob. First class, all the way. Not only strong, but a lot of safety built into it. But how do you keep the floor so clean ?? :dunno

cliff-1972

Well Known Member
Bob that is some awesome worksmanship there:bow That is what I always wanted to do to mine,but never did.Guess it is time to start over:D I have a anti-roll bar set up ,along with some Currier upper and lower trac bars to install.But now looking at your set up that's what I want to do instead.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

you mean like this?

for the first time in my life, i have an Impala that i can drop the hammer on with no worries.

ABSOLUTLY BEAUTIFUL!!! :beerbang And exactly what I was looking for. What type of coil overs did you go with? 200lbs each or?

thank you for sharing !!!

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi Don

Thanks for this link. I noticed they supply a bracket for the upper control arm chassis connection. By lowering the upper control at this point are you achieving the same goal as raising the upper control arm on the diff? :scratch

Awesome 4 link set up Bob :bow

Can anyone answer my question regarding the upper control arm chassis connection bracket? Is the instant center in the right spot if you leave the diff height stock but lower the upper control arm height at the chassis?

chubbychebbie

I have been reading this w interest as I have been discussing an alternative method to a stronger rear on another site w one of the sites moderators. He mentioned a 55-64 Pont/Olds rear center section swap into the stock 55-64 Re housing using special axles I think. from what I know of these Re's ,the housing axle bearing area's would have to be machined as well. I have no details, but am looking for exact swap info.. Granted these are old and probaly out of date, but the case ,bearings and axles are HUGE. they are still common in junk yards here. Posi's can be found rarely at the swaps and Drag racer meet swaps. This was THE RE to use for many years. It would keep your car all GM to meet the M.C.A. requirments.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thank you Jim for the comment on the rear support cover hitting the panhard bar. I'd wondered about this.

I'm planning to put rear coilovers in essentially the stock shock location, but keep the control arms bolt-on replacements. Has anyone done this that ya'll know of??

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob.....can you tell me the length of the mock up tubing you used in place of the coil-overs while fabbing your suspension? It would really help me out alot.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i could tell you when i get home but it would not fit your car.
the basic rule is this:
you need at least 7 inches of shock travel,
you mount them so that at ride height you have 2 inches compression.......5 inches of extension.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Unless we are using different length coil-overs, wouldn't it be the same length I need to use IF I have the correct spring rate to give me the 2" of compression?? I'm not trying to question your knowledge, just trying to understand better. Mine are Chassis Engineering single adjustable aluminum with 150 lb springs. Springs are 12" long. I don't remember the total extended shock length off the top of my head, but I was thinking that most coil-overs are a standard size unless you go with the 14" spring that I haven't seen used much. Car is considerably lightened including a FG pin-on decklid, but that's probably offset by the battery in the trunk as far as rearend weight goes.
If I'm missing something there.....how would I figure the length to use to make similiar spacers to use while welding my brackets up?? Just measure my assemblies and subtract 2" from their free length?? Wouldn't that do it?