14.0" X 6.0" factory steel wheel question

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Does anyone have any pictures of these wheels for 1961...1962 & 1963-1964.

What are the differences. How to identify the 1962 rim? Did the 63-64 rims have a slight ridge to them on front?

:dunno

RCE1962

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
The 14 X 6 wheel will have the code JK next to the valve stem. Don't let anyone tell you that they were only on the 409 cars and super sports. While the 14 X 5 was the standard wheel all the way up past 67, all you need to do is make a trip to the junk yard and look for a 61 or 62 station wagon, which carried the wider wheel. Here's a pic of a NOS one that I picked up when I was restoring my wife's super sport. Good hunting.
49224288.jpg

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Does anyone have any pictures of these wheels for 1961...1962 & 1963-1964.

What are the differences. How to identify the 1962 rim? Did the 63-64 rims have a slight ridge to them on front?

:dunno

RCE1962

i won't confess to know the truth. but in my head, i carry the notion that in early 63 there was a "safety bead" added to the wheel. in the event of a blowout or extremely hard corner, the tire would be harder to un-seat at the bead.
my 63 has this indented groove. i have seen 62's with the wheel smooth in that area.

I took tis picture a long time ago...
Left to right ( nearest to farthest ):

1961-1963 ( flat flange outside... must mount tire from backside of wheel )
1964-1966... possibly1967 ( I REALLY don't do post 64' )
1968-around 1970 ? ( again... it's post 64'. ). this wheel doesn't have quite the same look as the "1964" design.

All these wheels are 14" X 6", with the same back spacing.
( the wheel laying down is a 1964 14" x 5" )

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 14 X 6 wheel will have the code JK next to the valve stem. Don't let anyone tell you that they were only on the 409 cars and super sports. While the 14 X 5 was the standard wheel all the way up past 67, all you need to do is make a trip to the junk yard and look for a 61 or 62 station wagon, which carried the wider wheel. Here's a pic of a NOS one that I picked up when I was restoring my wife's super sport. Good hunting.
49224288.jpg

That "NOS" wheel sure looks like it has a slightly rusty tire ring from being mounted.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On the topic of these original steel wheels. Is there an easy way to identify them? I have numerous steel wheels, since I don't use them and never will.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The '61 14"x6" wheel is different from the others in that it has the little nubs that held the full wheel covers on. Later years didn't have them.

Also, as most people know but few will admit ...they are NOT 409 wheels, they are simply station wagon wheels.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The '61 14"x6" wheel is different from the others in that it has the little nubs that held the full wheel covers on. Later years didn't have them.

Also, as most people know but few will admit ...they are NOT 409 wheels, they are simply station wagon wheels.

Ahh, yes! The VERY important 4 nubs on a 61 wheel!!! They tend to keep the wheel covers, of your just-purchased 61, from flying off when pulling out onto the street!!
Horrible feeling to have to look at your wheel covers spinning, face down, in the middle of the street, on brand new 61 SS spinners!!
I don't have to imagine it, I lived that nightmare!
Ross

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
58 was a one year wheel
59-61 were the same with the 4 nubs that hold the wheel cover on. On both 14x5 1/2 and 14x6
62-63 were the same
64 ...I believe ...was a one year wheel
Not sure about 65 and up...not at the shop now.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"59-61 were the same with the 4 nubs that hold the wheel cover on. On both 14x5 1/2 and 14x6"

Phil,
I agree except I'm saying the '61 14x6 wheel was a one time thing cause they weren't available until '61 then the '62 didn't have the nubs.

bobs409

Administrator
Late Great Chevy did a tech article with pics of how to identify wheels. Not sure which issue but maybe someone here will know.

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
That "NOS" wheel sure looks like it has a slightly rusty tire ring from being mounted.

That is some surface rust on the lips , because it was rolled around a bit. That's the original paper part number still between the beads. What do expect, perfect paint after all these years?

It doesn't matter, it's mounted now, and they are only new once. You seem to have a bit of an attitude about other peoples property. JMO

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That is some surface rust on the lips , because it was rolled around a bit. That's the original paper part number still between the beads. What do expect, perfect paint after all these years?

It doesn't matter, it's mounted now, and they are only new once. You seem to have a bit of an attitude about other peoples property. JMO

No attitude what so ever. An observation based on your picture. Besides, it wasn't the area that the rim would roll on that caught my attention. It's the rusty "ring" further up on the rim, where the tire bead sits. JMO.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I know Tommy.........we were both saying the same thing!!

There were some later 60's rims...maybe 67 to 68 that had the nubs too but I don't know their correct application.