15" tire/steel wheel combo on a 1963 Impala question

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I searched old threads but haven't found a definitive answer. I'd like to put some 6" wide 15" steel wheels with 235 70r 15 radials on them on a '63 Impala. Does anyone have this set up and are there any clearance issues on the front or rear wheel wells especially on the front when turning? Thanks

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Rick,
I had these on my Elky when i first bought it but i think they are 15x7 if you wanted to try fit also i will be putting up for sale soon thumbnail59-7.jpg
thumbnail59-9.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Just watch the front outer tie rods. I'd test fit there first. I know with some 14 inch wheels, they hit, I guess back space is the key. (maybe 15 would not do this)

4spd409

Well Known Member
I put 15 x 7 235R60-15 front and 15 X 8 255R60-15 rear on my 61 with no clearance problems. Don't remember the back spacing. I think the wheels were Vintiques.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks all. I have not brought it home yet as I don't have the room - that's the trouble with getting old and downsizing your home and garage. The Corvette is sold so as soon as it is picked up I can get it home. I have 15 X 6 and 15 X 7 on my Elky so I can test fit using those .I'd like t use the 70 series if they fit to make it more drivable with 4.11 due to increased height. I will eventually try to find a lower numerical pumpkin ( around 3.36) so that I can save the original and cruise at a lower rpm.

JWahlstrom

I have P235/70R15 tires on 15 x 7 steel rims with 4.25" backspacing, and have no clearance issues front or rear. They would not clear the tie rods if the backspacing were any greater.