1957 Chevy 3200

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I am trying to locate information on 1957 Chevy trucks, in particular the 3200 series. I think this vehicle has the short bed with the step side. Am looking to find values for such a truck in the #3 or #4 range (where #1 is perfect). Any suggestions?

Best,
TomK

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Tom
I have a 57 1/2t swb stepside, but it has 3100 on the fender emblems. I don't know what the other series numbers mean and have not heard any prices for a long time.
Ron

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob and Tom

Bob here's another case for what I was saying about being able to carry a list to spot specific vehicles members are looking for. I seen one of these in a field, I think yesterday,but didn't think to much about it. Tom, IF I remember right it was just south of Eau Claire,Wi. on the south side of Interestate 94 on a hillside. I do get that way occasionally and will check it out. Maybe someone in that area also knows of this vehicle and can help. It's right out in the open with another old car sitting next to it. It had a flatbed on it. Looked to be like farm used condition.
Ray

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thanks!

Ray -- thanks for thinking of that place where the vehicles lie :)

Bob -- thanks for the link to the pricing guide. Looks informative!

I was at a wine tasting party last night out in the country, some new folks my wife knows socially but I hadn't met yet. They apparently heard I was a "car guy" and offered me the opportunity to purchase a 1957 Chevy pickup. It has an older green paint job on it, fairly solid, with the original 6 cylinder sitting on a stand in the bed. The car was a driver with a well worn 350 with headers, original three-on-the-tree and some aftermarket tires and wheels. I plan to go back and take a better look (never buy a car under the influence of a good wine :)) tomorrow to see if it's worth what they are asking ($3900).

I was kinda sorta looking for an older Chevy pickup, but hadn't thought of a '57 until I saw how cool they actually are. I'm sure it steers like a barge (used to that) with those bigger tires/wheels. It's not of the "W" era, but would look good with one of my 348s in place of the 350 :).

Will keep you guys posted as things progress. Thanks for the tips and links!

Best,
TomK

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
57 Pu

Tom, a 57 Chev PU just begs for a 283 Fuelie motor. There was one here in 57. It was a terror. Very cool, too.

Fred

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good suggestion!

Fred:

That would look good indeed :).

I was thinking of using some of the parts/engines I already have laying around. I have a pair of 283s (not the one from my '62SS, that one stays "in the archives"), a complete 1978 Corvette L82 (not too exciting), a 1960 348 with 3x2s, then a few QB blocks with low perf heads.

I'm guessing it's not cheap to locate and puchase an older SBC fuelie setup. If they were cheap I'd get one for my '63 split window coupe :). I suspect you would also need the correct distributor, air cleaner, and related parts along with the intake setup.

But you are right, that setup would look and perform great!

Gotta decide if I want to purchase the truck yet. I told him I'd get back to him right quick. Need to put 'er up on a lift to get a better look at everything!

Best,
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Pics of the '57

I went out and snapped a few pics of the truck, and did a once over before I got called away to do something else (story of my life!).

Enjoy!

TomK

Attachments

• DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCF0011.jpg
    DSCF0011.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF0012.jpg
    DSCF0012.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF0009.jpg
    DSCF0009.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 86

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Tom,

I think the 3200 series is 3/4 ton LB, so it may have fenders or fender emblems from a 3200. If it is a 6 foot bed and has 6-lug wheels its a 3100. W-engines fit very nicely in these, they are well supported in the aftermarket, and are easily modified. There are many options ranging from dropped axles and lowered front springs to many IFS conversions to complete chassis' for these trucks. There are disc brake and power steering conversions for the stock front suspension.

Price wise its the right neighborhood, but look at the lower rear cab corners and cab rockers very closely for rust. Also look at where the door hinges bolt to the cab, another area prone to rust.

As indicated in my signature I have a '55 that I have been working on for a long time. If you buy this I will be glad to share anything I have learned about these trucks.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good advise

John:

Thanks for the advise. I'm still trying to figure out why I haven't clinched the deal yet :). Went back and looked at it again last night, then talked to my buddies today. We think it might be LWB, defintely a step side, appears to be the smaller window.

Get this, I told the guy it would look good with a "W" in it, and it turns out he knows another fella who has a 1959-60 348, complete, that turns over, for a reported $500.

Interesting combination!

Will keep in touch if I commit to purchasing the truck :) :) :)

Best,
TomK

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Tom,

LWB has 8 foot bed and 123 inch wheel base, SWB has 6 foot bed and 113 inch wheel base. Small back window cabs are cooler in the summertime because the green house has less glass area, and in my humble opinion, they look better. Of course I'm biased since I have a small window SWB. Stepside was the only bed choice except for the Cameo, which has its own badging and will have 3124 as the model number. The fleetside bed was not available until 1958.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
nice

Truck looks nice Tom. Sure looks like a long box to me. Reminds me of my first vehicle, a 1950 1/2 ton short box Chevy. Bought it from a neighbor for 60 bucks! I had to mow grass all summer to pay for it. I was nine at the time. I kept the truck for many years and then sold it to buy a 1953 Chevy 2 dr sedan. I still have the V.I.N. of the 1950 memorized after all these years. Wow, another trip down memory lane! Life was much more simple back then. Sorry everyone, I'll stop mumbling. Brian

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Tom
By the fender emblem it should be a lwb. Here is some info on series numbers from another site. It would be a fun cruiser with that 348 in it. I put one in a 57 4wd many years ago. The only thing that I remember giving me much trouble was the left exhaust manifold touching the steering sector. I modified the manifold a little.
Ron

3100 1/2-ton (GVW=5,000 with wheelbase=114 inches) short-bed
3200 1/2-ton (GVW=5,000 with wheelbase=123 inches) long-bed
3600 3/4-ton (GVW=6,900 with wheelbase=123 inches) long-bed
3800 1-ton (GVW=8,800 with wheelbase=135 inches)

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That truck brought back a memory of one of the happiest days of my life. Back in 64 at age 16 (you know the dumb years) I had a 58 Impala convert with a 348 with a 409 cam and hi-rise intake and dual straight pipes that my Dad hated with a passion and everyone knew it. He had a 57 truck just like that one. Well, -25* and guess which one didn't start. And ALL his buddies seen it being pulled down the road to get started behind the Impala and they never let him live it down. Talk about being grumpy.:grumble:
Ray