1958-1964 frame interchange

There is a '58 frame for sale locally, any chance it will fit my '62? Just looking to build a frame while waiting to get the body work done! My frame is good, just trying to compress time frames. Thanks!

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would want to keep the original frame with the body. I think the VIN is stamped on the top of the Xframe. Some states are checking cars to see that the frame and body match when ownership changes.

You might end up with a salvage title if they don't match here, If you get to keep the car.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 58 frame is different in the back. I would keep the original frame.

Skim

Well Known Member
I would want to keep the original frame with the body. I think the VIN is stamped on the top of the Xframe. Some states are checking cars to see that the frame and body match when ownership changes.

You might end up with a salvage title if they don't match here, If you get to keep the car.

I have heard this for years and to this day I have never found any vin stamped on the 61-64 frame. We swap frames all the time. prefferably for a 1 piece boxed frame.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have heard this for years and to this day I have never found any vin stamped on the 61-64 frame. We swap frames all the time. prefferably for a 1 piece boxed frame.

Of the five cars that I have pulled the bodies off all had it. Check out this thread post 11. After my frame was sand blasted and powder coated you can read it quite well. I did tell the sand blaster to be careful around the vin #. http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21435

poison ivy

Well Known Member
1958 chevy frame

is a 58 bel aire frame the same as a biscayne:dunno, or is there a place where its written in comparison form..

S

Swiss Impala

There is one thing I would like to get an answer. May be some of you do not understand it or think it is stupid. What I do not understand is, why there
is no manufacturer who builds these frames or even better ones as replicas
nowadays. I think for '55-'57 models there is something like I ask for available.
I mean, there are many parts for the body available, cylinder heads, even an alu block for the 409. So, as many x-frame cars are still here I think it would be great to have frames too. Just my opinion.

Franz
PS. For example, and this is the way I would like to go for the restoration.
You have a new frame and you can move all restored components to it,
suspension, engine, transmission and so on.
At the end, if the old frame is still okay, you have one to restore and then as spare one.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
There is one thing I would like to get an answer. May be some of you do not understand it or think it is stupid. What I do not understand is, why there
is no manufacturer who builds these frames or even better ones as replicas
nowadays. I think for '55-'57 models there is something like I ask for available.
I mean, there are many parts for the body available, cylinder heads, even an alu block for the 409. So, as many x-frame cars are still here I think it would be great to have frames too. Just my opinion.

Franz
PS. For example, and this is the way I would like to go for the restoration.
You have a new frame and you can move all restored components to it,
suspension, engine, transmission and so on.
At the end, if the old frame is still okay, you have one to restore and then as spare one.

Here you go, Franz. Not aftermarket, but re-wrapped.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/pts/2105337502.html

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
There is one thing I would like to get an answer. May be some of you do not understand it or think it is stupid. What I do not understand is, why there is no manufacturer who builds these frames or even better ones as replicas nowadays...

I suspect there isn't enough return on investment at the current point in time to make it worthwhile for a company to tool up and offer a replacement frame. There are still enough original frames out there to find a replacement rather easily, should one be needed. New frames would be much father down the "need" line than a lot of the patch/replacement panels that still aren't available.

That said, if someone really wants/needs a brand new frame, companies such as the Roadster Shop (www.roadstershop.com) will gladly build you one.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You know, Franz makes a good point. With today's technology and the number of X frame cars out there, it is a little surprising that some of these fabricators have not designed a replacement frame that could be used for a restoration or an upgrade. It would be really cool if a tubing version were available with various front/rear suspension options, perimeter rails, etc.

Maybe wouldn't be a lucrative as the 55-57s, but who knows? It seems like anything that will roll is being restored.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That's some nice work...I was thinking more of companies like Morrison and some of those folks that do high-volume stuff, but maybe there just isn't the interest to get them excited enough to take it on.