1958 Chevrolet Nomad Frost Bite

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Well fellas, here's another one in the stable. She's a rough and tough rare 1958 Chevrolet Nomad. I nabbed her a couple weeks ago and have been working on her ever since she got home. I am not going to the degree I did on Old Gold, but it's going to be cool rat cruiser.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I have a very good friend in Texas who still has his original '58 NOMAD wagon. He bought it new here on Long Island back in July of '58. Black and white with a 348 tri-power and a 3 speed trans. I have to go digging into the archives and see if I can find a picture. I will post it when I find it.:cool:

:crazy:dance:cheers

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Laid down the new carpet

Dropped the obsolete gas tank and cleaned the insides vigorously knocking out tons of garbage along with rust.

Ordered a new sending unit.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Very cool! I'm not sure i've ever seen one of those. Man there's no tellin what you're going to come up with. :clap

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Very cool! I'm not sure i've ever seen one of those. Man there's no tellin what you're going to come up with. :clap
Thanks. They are quite rare, and people think 58 Convertibles are hard to find, Nomads are really tough. I've been looking for one for quite awhile now, and finally found one. She's rough, but the stainless is awesome on the car and all there, and the Factory Frost Blue and Snowcrest white is another rare two-tone and perhaps the best color combo they offered that year. I just wish the original 283 4bbl motor was still in her along with the powerglide, also has a Canadian boxed frame.

Looks like a high dollar car in its day, nice find
No doubt, but I probably paid 2 and half times its original sticker price. Thanks.

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
I like it:clap
Thanks!

Looks like a nice car Seth. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Dan! She's a bit rough, but small little refinements to get her back on the road all ratty will make me happy.

Anyone, have a set of 14x6 wagon wheels they want to sell? Also, looking into a set of Bias ply pie cut wide whites 7.00 or 7.50's anyone have a set please let me know.

Also, looking for nice driver quality side mirror. I just scored one off of eBay for $18.00! virtually pit free!

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
So, I managed to install the new sending unit today, and bought new #10-32 stainless screws to lock her down. Tomorrow, I am going to blow some brake parts cleaner down the 5/16 fuel line and high pressure air hose it out.

Made new wiring harness for the sending unit to ensure proper functioning.

I laid down a Big gaudy looking two-color piece which I call "The Crown" on the hood.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That looks like a great car. After following along watching your 61 come together, I'm sure this one will be just as entertaining. By the way, I think the Olds motor gives it something unique.
Rick

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good that all that trim is there, probably almost impossible to find. How many of those were built? I'd guess 10-20,000 if that many?
Wouldn't be hard to find the right 283 and ironglide for that. Or buy that 348 Bob shows in the ebay forum...................
Don

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks like you have all your garnish mouldings. I have some left over from the 58 Brookwood I did a few years back. Also have a tailgate and some other miscellaneous wagon parts left over.
Wagons are finally catching on. I had a 58 Nomad original 348 car, black and white. Not much rust as it was a SoCal car. Couldn't sell it for the longest time....finally got $1700 for it about 6 years ago.

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
That looks like a great car. After following along watching your 61 come together, I'm sure this one will be just as entertaining. By the way, I think the Olds motor gives it something unique.
Rick

Thanks Rick.

Good that all that trim is there, probably almost impossible to find. How many of those were built? I'd guess 10-20,000 if that many?
Wouldn't be hard to find the right 283 and ironglide for that. Or buy that 348 Bob shows in the ebay forum...................
Don
I wish it did have W motor, but I'm not going crazy with this one, I have another 58 Nomad in mind that I want to build, its a 348, AC car.

olds made a good 350. jim
This one is very tight, the upper cylinders and beneath the intake is clean, compression is very good, So I am sticking with her.

Looks like you have all your garnish mouldings. I have some left over from the 58 Brookwood I did a few years back. Also have a tailgate and some other miscellaneous wagon parts left over.
Wagons are finally catching on. I had a 58 Nomad original 348 car, black and white. Not much rust as it was a SoCal car. Couldn't sell it for the longest time....finally got $1700 for it about 6 years ago.

Now that's a gorgeous car! Yes, wagons caught me about 8 years ago and love them just as much if not more than a sport coupe or convertible.

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Installed the tank yesterday, going to run and get some fresh fuel for the beast later today. Suspension work on the next to do list, it's time for a major "Altitude Adjustment".