1958 Impala oil light flashing at low rpm

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
You should get a pressure gauge hooked to verify the pressure. You'll then know if the pressure is low or the sender is incorrect. If the pressure is low, could be the pump or excess bearing clearance.
Hi Jim, I put a oil pressure gauge on it to measure. The readings at high idle cold start up was 50 psi. When the engine warmed up it went down to 25 psi. Is that a good reading?

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you are getting gas in the oil, DON"T keep running it! don't ask. fuel pumps are cheap.

Impala Steve

Well Known Member

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Update the oil light flashed again. Replaced the new sending unit. Any ideas? I did see some residue on the top of the fuel pump.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Pull the dip stick and hold a liter to it, if it goes to flame easy you have fuel in your oil. A fuel pump can cause this, a over rice running engine can cause this also.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Possibly but the fuel in the oil and clean burning plugs is a dead give away that the diaphram has ruptured.

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Update: Fuel pump has been replaced. The light is still flashing at idle. I plan on changing the oil to see if there is a difference.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Definitely change oil. I have a pickup that uses some oil ( valve seals) so I use straight 30 weight oil and it seemed to help slow it down. Maybe you could try that to get the pressure higher at idle.. After all that's what was used back in the day.

Reactions: 327

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Changed the oil with STP 20W-50 conventional with STP ZDDP additive. I adjusted the front carburetor screws turning them 1/4 turn inwards. Will turning the adjustments screws make a difference whether excess gas is getting the oil?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No,you have bigger problems from the looks of your spark plugs,it is not carb related.

427John

Well Known Member
When you check the pressure with a mechanical gage are you checking at the same point as where the pressure switch is installed?Also those pressure switches are hardly a precision instrument and never were. Some manufacturers way of dealing with those issues back in the day was to put out a service bulletin that instructed dealer service departments to increase idle speed by 50 rpm.