1959-1963 cowl tags

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Carl, here is one from the Gumpy old man site i coped for you
Thanks, it's a jade green Biscayne 2-door sedan built at Oakland CA with green cloth and vinyl interior, 6 cylinder engine and a padded dash. This is only the 5th car built at Oakland that I've recorded for 1960 and the multiple trim numbers are a mystery, as is the 2843 on the end of the ACC line, but I suspect it might be a Govt order or something like that because 4 of the 5 I've recorded have a number like this and they are all Belairs or Biscaynes.

Hi Carl,can you please tell me some information about this cowl tag? I’m hoping it matches a Atlanta,Georgia Vin Tag for a 59’ El Camino -Thanks very much,Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 11

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
G'day Fat Mike, this is a Roman red El Camino built at Cleveland OH with a gray cloth and vinyl interior, air foam seat cushion and deluxe body equipment (fender ornaments, interior arm rests, passenger side sun visor and cigarette lighter). It could have been sent to the Chevrolet plant in Atlanta for mating to a chassis and final assembly, but the Cleveland Fisher plant practice of stamping a Chevrolet assembly plant code on the tag, which would have confirmed that it should have an Atlanta VIN, started a couple of hundred bodies later than this one. If you post a photo of the VIN, I'll confirm that it's in the right range to belong to this car.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Here is the vin- H59A109810

Thanks again
The VIN H59A10981 is for an El Camino assembled at Atlanta, but is way too early for the cowl tag with body # EP 6073. This VIN is also screwed on, which is a bad sign, but in terms of matching to a cowl tag, it is the perfect VIN for the second cowl tag you posted with body # EP 556. This is an early body number and is very close to another Cleveland El Camino body I've recorded with an Atlanta VIN that is very close to this VIN. This means that cowl tag EP 556 is a match for VIN H59A109810.