1959-1963 cowl tags

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
I haven't recorded many 58's so I'm not sure how they built the convertibles, but in 59 Fisher built convertible bodies at Lansing that were shipped to different Chevrolet plants, such as Atlanta and Flint, to be mated to a chassis and completed. These cars are easily identifiable by having an LA (Lansing) cowl tag code and a VIN with the Chevrolet plant code. These Lansing cars were shipped with their cowl tag attached with the paint code on it, so I assume they were painted before being shipped out. 1959 convertibles were also built at St Louis and Van Nuys Fisher plants for completion next door at the attached Chevrolet plant. I haven't recorded convertibles built anywhere else in 1959, but they may also been built by Fisher at Cleveland for shipping to other Chevrolet plants, like they did for El Caminos, sedan deliveries and wagons. I know that Cleveland made convertible bodies in the 1960 model year because I've recorded a few, the earliest I've recorded being made in March 1960.

For 1961/62, convertible bodies were built by Fisher at Cleveland (EP), Framingham (FR), Janesville (JA), Lansing (LA), St Louis (SL) and Van Nuys (VN). The bodies built at Cleveland were all shipped to other Chevrolet plants (Atlanta, Baltimore, Flint and Tarrytown) for completion. I'm pretty sure they were shipped to the Chevrolet plants in their finished body color because the cowl tags were attached at Cleveland with the paint code on them already. If anyone has convertible cowl tag photos from 1958-62, post 'em up.

Last edited:

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
HI Carl, are you still desciphering cowl tags?. My 62 Bel Air Bubble Top car came without engine, trans. It did come with Air Conditioning, power brakes, padded dash, c-c pkg.non push button radio, Automatic Transmission, Tinted glass, seat belts front & back, eng? Rear end was a 3:08 non Posi not sure it was org.76,000 miles

Cowl Tag... 11c
62-1637BA 412
873. .973
A-E-2

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Carl, also just sold a 62 Impala SS
03D
62-1847-Body-VN-31062
812. .948
ACC . 30 EZI SS
Car was a Maroon/With Black Bucket seats/ and all black interior, but with light white or cream headliner and side panels.
It came with org. 327- 250hp 4bbl. Auto. 3:08 Posi.
Power Assist Brakes, padded dash, radio, 2spd washer wipers, clock, and courtesy Underdash lighting. Front windshield Tinted Only. White wall tires. Seat belts back and front. Hope this helps with your survey. Stan

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
HI Carl, are you still desciphering cowl tags?. My 62 Bel Air Bubble Top car came without engine, trans. It did come with Air Conditioning, power brakes, padded dash, c-c pkg.non push button radio, Automatic Transmission, Tinted glass, seat belts front & back, eng? Rear end was a 3:08 non Posi not sure it was org.76,000 miles

Cowl Tag... 11c
62-1637BA 412
873. .973
A-E-2
I'm still collecting photos of cowl tags if you have one, email me at csnelling@bigpond.com.au if you prefer. This tag decodes as an ermine white over roman red Belair Sport coupe built 3rd week November 61 at Baltimore MD with red interior (but should be code 872), air conditioning and tinted glass. It was the 412th bubbletop built at Baltimore in the 62 model year. I'm still trying to figure out why some tags had a "2" on the ACC line and some tags didn't even though the cars appear to have the same options. None of those other options usually had an ACC code, and you cannot tell the engine size from the cowl tag in 62.

Last edited:

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Carl, also just sold a 62 Impala SS
03D
62-1847-Body-VN-31062
812. .948
ACC . 30 EZI SS
Car was a Maroon/With Black Bucket seats/ and all black interior, but with light white or cream headliner and side panels.
It came with org. 327- 250hp 4bbl. Auto. 3:08 Posi.
Power Assist Brakes, padded dash, radio, 2spd washer wipers, clock, and courtesy Underdash lighting. Front windshield Tinted Only. White wall tires. Seat belts back and front. Hope this helps with your survey. Stan
Thanks Stan, this one is a Honduras maroon SS Impala sport coupe built 4th week March 62 (March 30th) at Van Nuys CA with black bucket seat interior and tinted glass. It was the 31,062nd Impala sport coupe built at Van Nuys in the 62 model year. None of the other options were coded on the cowl tag, but the EZI code means all windows should have been tinted, Van Nuys used the code EZW if only the windshield was tinted. I recorded a photo of this cowl tag in February 2020.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Thanks Heddrik, this is an ermine white Belair 2-door sedan built 4th week July 1962 (July 30th) at Kansas City with fawn interior. The last digit of the body number is cut off in the photo, but it is the 3,71? Belair 2-door sedan built at KC in the 62 model year.

Last edited:

heddrik

Well Known Member
Thanks Heddrik, this is an ermine white Belair 2-door sedan built 4th week July 1962 (July 30th) at Kansas City with fawn interior. The last digit of the body number is cut off in the photo, but it is the 3,71? Belair 2-door sedan built at KC in the 62 model year.
Yes 371. Cool, even the exact date! Thank you sir. When did they stop 62 production? Last of July is very late.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Yes 371. Cool, even the exact date! Thank you sir. When did they stop 62 production? Last of July is very late.
The latest built car I've recorded for KC was a Biscayne 2-door sedan built in the 1st week of August 62. The body number of your Belair should have another number after 371 because there were more than 3,700 Belair 2-door sedans built by July 62.

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Carl, here is the cowl tag from the blue 62 bubble top that had no date of build from Tarrytown. Also photos of a 62 bel air 2dr sdn. Could you decode this for me please. Also for your records is a 64 Impala SS with the build sheet attached. Thanks , Mike…64F691C5-198C-41B7-966C-579DC10A42BB.jpeg94852AC2-A51D-4F44-8BBD-521D6B643BBA.jpeg2650F516-1406-4EFF-BFF5-DA19DDAE397E.jpeg

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Carl, here is the cowl tag from the blue 62 bubble top that had no date of build from Tarrytown. Also photos of a 62 bel air 2dr sdn. Could you decode this for me please. Also for your records is a 64 Impala SS with the build sheet attached. Thanks , Mike…
Mike, the ermine white Belair 2-door sedan was built 3rd week December 61 (Dec 16th) at Norwood with red interior, small block engine and air cond. This is the latest built car I've recorded from Norwood because they switched to building Chevy II exclusively at about this time.

The silver blue Belair sport coupe was probably built in mid December 61 (this is the 2nd early bubbletop I've recorded with no date code) at Tarrytown with blue interior.

The 64 SS is ermine white over silver blue built 3rd week Nov 63 at Flint with blue bucket seat interior, powerglide transmission, comfort and convenience group (day/night inside mirror and driver's door mirror, and 2-speed wipers/washers), rear antenna and padded dash.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Carl, you have requested pics of covertible cowl tags. Here are three that were all build in Cleveland, and then shipped to Baltimore for final assembly. Please decode them for me , retain for your data.
Thanks 62bubble, the roman red 59 convertible was built at Lansing with red interior, the 11897th convertible built at Lansing in the 59 model year and probably built around mid-late November 58.

EP 4658 is a coronna cream SS convertible built 3rd week November 61 at Cleveland with black bucket seat interior, black top and power windows. It was finished at Baltimore.

EP 15572 is a Roman red convertible built 4th week June 62 at Cleveland with red bench seat interior, white top, white side trim inserts and tinted windshield. It was also finished at Baltimore. FYI, I've also recorded the car that followed this one down the assembly line at Cleveland EP 15573, an ermine white convertible with red interior and black top.