1959-1963 cowl tags

SLAMPALA61

Hi Carl,
Here is the tag off my 61 , curious as to what the acc codes represent .

Attachments

• 20221009_214134.jpg
    20221009_214134.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: 327

Well Known Member
Correction 6A . Or was that the code for the padded dash.?

Last edited:

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Very nice to have a broadcast sheet, good score. The cowl tag decodes as an autumn gold Impala sport coupe built 1st week May 63 (May 7th) at Van Nuys CA with red bench seat interior and powerglide transmission.

I have to use a 1962 order form to decode the broadcast sheet because I don't have a copy of a 1963 order form, so hopefully this is accurate. The broadcast sheet confirms the build date and the 7 at the end of the ACC codes confirms May 7th. The dealer code and zone are for Alaska Sales and Service, in Anchorage Alaska, does this align with any other paperwork or previous ownership history? The model, trim and color are confirmed. The options are interesting and show how much is not coded on the cowl tag.

The VIN confirms the car is a V8 and there's no code for an optional engine so it was a 283, confirmed by the engine code D on the bottom line. The cowl tag confirms a powerglide transmission and so does code D for a 283 with powerglide transmission, but the broadcast sheet doesn't have a 1 in the Trans box, which is strange because it should have (or at least it would have in 62). The Axle box has a 1 so it should have positraction, and it should also have power steering and HD battery, which makes sense for a car sold in Alaska. The Generator codes are different in 63 so Gen code 1 will be for a higher amp alternator than standard, but I'm not sure of the amp rating. The radio codes are also different in 63, but code 3 is probably push button radio with front antenna, as per 62. It should have a 2-speed windshield wiper/washer and seat belts front and rear. The door lock key code is self explanatory and the other codes all mean something that contributed to the build of this car, the code for rear differential ratio for example, but I don't have those codes.

If anyone has order forms that could assist to break down the codes, please send me some photos so I can use them for future reference.