1959 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe project

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Yeah, oil definitely got flung everywhere, that's for sure! All the way back from the rear main to the cats eyes! I was trying to make it ASAP the 1 mile trip from the service station to home on the 3 quarts of oil before the lifters started clattering again. NOT something I would recommend doing... I don't think the gasket just popped out either... Don't think there was the right gasket to begin with, they most likely used RTV. I'll put it this way, I will be surprised if I find the right type of gasket in there (not talking about RTV)...

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Before I pull the motor, I want to know that I can first find all of the desired parts I want to put in. I've been trying to find a gear driven timing set, preferably the quiet type, for the 348 Chevy, and not having much luck. Yes, I want to put one of those in. I know some people may hate em with the whine, but that's what I love about em... Please, I need help trying to find one. Or do they even exist for the 348?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jackie,

Just another idea about the oil leak, it could be coming from the rear cam plug. Whether it's the rear main or the cam plug, the engine's got to come out.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Probably find RTV, in there, also.:doh Ugh.:rolleyes Don't know, which I hate the most. RED or the BLUE.:(

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you have or willing to buy a UV light, you can buy UV dye to put in the oil to see where the leaks originate from.
Psst, give this a try... Should be about 20 - 30 bucks max and will light the source up like a Christmas tree.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Never could find a gear driven timing set for this 348, so I guess nobody makes it... Too bad, I kinda wanted her to have a little bit of that whine, but oh well...
More positive news (for as positive as this can get), is I found pretty much all I need to rebuild this motor from Show Cars. They do have good quality 348 parts, don't they?

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Another thing, when I get her all put back together, I would like to be driving her with a new tranny, a 5 speed manual. I've got a few concerns/questions... I've heard that it was an option to have a 4 speed in these, and seen the repro parts for the 4 speeds. So I can easily put in a 4 spd, but would prefer the extra gear with the 5 spd cause I'd like to cruise easily 80 on the highway. So first off, is the tunnel large enough to fit in a 5 spd with no modifications to the tunnel? And, going with the 5 spd, will the 4 spd parts convert over to 5 spd as well, as I haven't found exactly all the parts I need for the 5 spd, just for the 4 spd...
To make this easier and less confusing, anyone know of anyone that has a 5 spd in one of these? I guess if worse comes to worse, I'll end up going with the 4 spd...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes Jackie,Show Cars does sell quality parts.On the pistons,go forged only!Have you decided whether it's going to be a stock stroke engine,or a stroker?

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Jackie,
There are a few guys on here with Tremec 5 and 6 speed manual boxes in X frames, im sure they will chime in
I am going TKO600 tremec 5 speed and 3.73:1 rear end in the 61 (when i get my A into G that is)
Dan (tripower) had a richmond 6 speed in his 61
I think the richmond fits easier than the Tremec
Will see what others say

Steve

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Yes Jackie,Show Cars does sell quality parts.On the pistons,go forged only!Have you decided whether it's going to be a stock stroke engine,or a stroker?

Thanks Don. So here is how the motor build is going to go... Going to do it one step at a time, and see what I see when I get it all torn apart. What I mean is, I already know that the cam and lifters are shot when I drove her for the short time with little to no oil... So will be definitely replacing those. For the cam, its going to be above stock. For the bearings/pistons/connecting rods/crank, etc., I will see what kind of damage is on them such as scoring and discoloration. If its anything significant, then I will completely rebuild it.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Jackie,
There are a few guys on here with Tremec 5 and 6 speed manual boxes in X frames, im sure they will chime in
I am going TKO600 tremec 5 speed and 3.73:1 rear end in the 61 (when i get my A into G that is)
Dan (tripower) had a richmond 6 speed in his 61
I think the richmond fits easier than the Tremec
Will see what others say

Steve

Thanks Steve. Yes, I'd really like to know how to go about changing this over to a 5 speed. If I don't get more replies on my build thread here about changing over to the 5 speed, I might start a new thread specific to that topic...

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i had a tko 5spd. did not like the shift from second to third. too clunky. not near a t10 or muncie. jim

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Some very encouraging news... A while back, I found out exactly where the recent bad oil leak was coming from, the one that I thought was the rear main. OK, so I put in a conversion kit for the spin on type oil filter. I had my suspicions when I first put it in, as I had to fight it for it to go in, and also was made in China. Need I say further? Well anyhow, when I started her up I was the one underneath looking for the leaks. As soon as the motor was running, a steady stream of oil was pouring out of the, not rear main, but the oil conversion unit. I've already checked to make sure the filter is tight, and it is. Only thing I can figure is that it is the conversion unit.
So I'm quite happy that its not the rear main, and have to pull the motor. It gets me back to my original plan, not rebuilding the motor all at once, but instead do like what I originally wanted to of tinkering with it, and adding "motor goodies" as I call them here and there as time goes on. And also gets me back to where I can still easily restore this spendy original style interior here shortly.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Are your sure it is not the oil filter cannister ,seem's hard to believe the rear main would just blow out that quick. The cannister seal blowing out make's more sense!!! Just saying,,,,, I could be wrong!!!!
Humm,,,,,,,,,guess I was pretty close,,,, :D

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Go back to stock, if the original bypass is still there or Show Cars sells a conversion which doesn't need the bypass.

Don

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Go back to stock, if the original bypass is still there or Show Cars sells a conversion which doesn't need the bypass.

Don

Yeah, I still got all of the original style oil canister stuff, since I'm the one who converted it to spin on in the first place. I was hoping that it would save me the hassles that the original style can give, but it seems that the spin on is just as much of a hassle now if not more. I'm going to give the spin on one more try, and if its still giving me more hassle than it worth, then I'll go back to the original style.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pete Jackson made gear drives at one point as I had one up till about a year ago keep looking on eBay

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a Richmond 5 speed in my 62 SS 409 convertible with a 3:08 posi, not on the road yet. With the low 1st gear and the 3:08 the it's like a 4:11 in lower gears and a overdrive in 1:1 5th gear.
I drove a friends 61 Chevy with a Richmond 5 speed to test how it drove. It shifts like a Muncie or Borg Warner 4 speeds not ratchet type shifting, like Jim stated above ( that Jim did not like). Internal rail type 5 or 6 speeds will not shift like a Muncie Or a Richmond and the reason I picked the Richmond.

To install you need a new modified rear transmission mount. I had a curved one made by a friend (he made the one for the 61 with a 5 speed) that fit the factory transmission frame mounts. Also adjust the 4 speed floor hole to the rear about 1" to 2"). Zero frame or floor modifications are necessary. I have pictures of the 5 speed shifter and factory style 4 speed floor opening/tunnel cover.

Cost was another consideration - under $ 2000 new when I bought my used 5 speed transmission and hurst 5 speed shifter for $ 1000. A 6 speed Richmond with overdrive is the current available transmission (new).
Also I did not want to modify the floor pan that is required with most 6 speed conversions.

Paul