1959 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe project

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Thanks very much Paul for the info about the trannys! I was sort of thinking about a 6 spd too, but didn't want to cut up the floor to do it, so thanks for that too. Now I got questions as I'm still researching on this topic, do you know if the 4 spd stuff such as the speedo cable, back up light switch, bellhousing, shift linkage, (and I'm sure theres more but forgetting it at the moment), will convert/be the same as the stuff needed for the 5 spd? As the reason to my asking is all the places I've looked for these parts I only found it for the 4 spds as the 4 spds were stock parts, 5 spds weren't. Or will I need to have the 5 spd stuff specially made?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here are answers to your questions.
  1. I used a 552 (last 3 digits) cast bell housing stock Chevy. You can also use the aluminum 553 bell housing. The 5 speed will bolt to any Chevy stick bell housing. One of the bolts is very close to the transmission body - had to use a open end wrench.
  2. I purchased a 83" long speedometer(Show cars part # 7380) since the cable connection is on the passenger side like the muncie transmissions. I have a 90/92" long one in my 62 SS 409 hardtop with Muncie. I am just about to install the 83" long speedometer to see if it fits
  3. The 5 speed uses a 4 speed GM speedometer housing, hold down tab and speedometer gear ( converted my tire size -about 27" tall, rear end - 3:08 to find the number of teeth for the plastic gear. I got all these parts from the local Chevy dealer (I have the part numbers)
  4. For a back up light I am using the stock 4 speed wiring and I need to mount the stock switch & its bracket or a hurst switch/bracket (for a 4 speed) on the shifter/transmission- I have not finished how this will be done. I may have to modify the stock mounting bracket for a 4 speed (this switch: http://www.show-cars.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=1062 and this bracket http://www.show-cars.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=1179 The bracket normally mounts to the side cover on Borg Warners and Muncies.
  5. I have a Hurst shifter # 407-009 (for a Richmond or Doug Nash 5 speed -it was modified by the previous owner to fit within 1 1/2 inches of the stock 4 speed BW/Muncie shifter location on the floor.
  6. I also used a 61 to 63 4 speed tunnel cover(show cars part # 4244) and round boot and ring (mine is a SS so the boot it not round on top). I think this tunnel cover will work on your 59 - makes shifter/and boot fit better
  7. I note that they are selling a Richmond 5 speed with overdrive in 5th gear and 1:1 in 4th gear. It is sold with 3 different first gear options 3:33, 3:06 and 2:89 http://www.richmondgear.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/richmond/RG22.pdf
  8. My transmission with Reverse on the same arm as 5th gear is discontinued. Reverse is on the tailshaft for this 3:33 first gear option9and the other 2 options - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rmg-7020526a/overview/
  9. I also find a Richmond 6 speed for sale Jegs or Summit . One of the members here in Washington installed one in a 61 Belair Bubbletop - I saw pictures he posted of the tunnel cover hole in the floor -to fit in front of the long brace(like my pictures) under his 61 and the shifter that cleared his seat with room to spare. HE HAD A Bench Seat in his 61. He told me his shifter was about 1 to 2 inches further back than mine.
  10. They sell a Long 5 speed shifter that sits to high for my use.... The center line of the shifter is 20.75 inches from the bell housing, and 21.57 overall length for all 3 - 5 speeds. I would at least consider finding a way to lower the shifter or make it fit the 5 speed that is now sold.
  11. I think this is the Long shifter for the 5 speed sold now: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lon-hn1000/overview/
  12. This is the Hurst shifter that I have : http://www.hurstshiftersonline.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=402
  13. The Richmond 5 speed transmission uses a 400 turbo input(32 spline) used on a stock 4 speed driveshaft
  14. Everything I have re-reviewed to write this --reconfirms my thoughts on ZERO tunnel modifications and shifting like a Muncie and cost.... and my driving experience with my friends 61 Impala with his Richmond 5 speed.
  15. I was able to buy a excellent used 5 speed transmission and Hurst shifter for a very reasonable cost. Perhaps there are rebuilt 5 speeds from some of the well known 4 and 5 speed transmission guys to check out cost vs new.
Paul

pictures of my 5 speed transmission in my 62 SS 409 Convertible
DSCN9364.JPG DSCN9377.JPG

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Moving onto the trim... I'm trying to fix some stuff on the front fenders trim. Its pushed a couple inches forward from its stock location, and I'm trying to move it back. Not working out so well as planned, I'll just say that... Do things ever go as planned when working on a car? :doh And second, its loose, and trying to fix that as well. Another thing not going as planned... Those, what resemble wing nuts, that hold the trim on, are the culprits of the things not going as planned. A couple of them, either side, have slipped off, and they're a real nightmare trying to put back in place. Also, I can get to most of them from the inside of the fenders to tighten them up. But, there is one (either side) that I just cant figure out how to get to it! (the one closest to the doors/rear of the fender) And of course, that's the one that has to be the most loose... I've looked, and from the inside of the fenders the inner fenderwell blocks access to it, cant see a way to get to it from the engine compartment, or from when you open up the doors. I'm stuck, and need help please with this. I'm worried about losing these trim pieces next time I take the car out on its next road test (shouldn't be that long hopefully), and yes these 2 trim pieces are that loose where I have reason to be worried about them falling off.