1960 348

55 dude

well i was wondering what the hp was for a 1960 348 in a 4dr sdn impala? also where can i find some info on 348 distributers. i am told they are different than sbc and does anyone have any pic's for comparison. my 60' parts car i am getting is missing distributer and valve covers. any help would be great thanks:D

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
well i was wondering what the hp was for a 1960 348 in a 4dr sdn impala? also where can i find some info on 348 distributers. i am told they are different than sbc and does anyone have any pic's for comparison. my 60' parts car i am getting is missing distributer and valve covers. any help would be great thanks:D

If you go to the home page under 348-409 menu you should be able to find all of the information you are looking for. You will need the block casting #'s behind the drivers head on the block and the Suffix code located on the stamp pad just in front of the passenger side head. Good luck.

PS.. There should be info on the distributor there as well...and they are different.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Several options

The 348 for the 1960 year was probably as complex as the many options that GM had for 1961. The most common build would probably be the 250 horse 348. There are some 7 or 8 variations that go all the way up to 350 horses. Since you don't have valve covers yet, look at the casting numbers on the heads and let us know what they are. That and the intake manifold will tell us a bit (is it a four barrel, three two barrels, etc.?). Automatic or standard shift? Let us know a bit more about what you have and we can help you out :).

Good luck!

TomK