1960 Impala convert 348/turboglide - Quality Flywheel replaement

cowsaredelicious

I'm looking to find a quality replacement flywheel for my impala. Last fall I replaced the starter and either it provided too much torque for the old girl or I had bad alignment. Either way, it engaged but broke some teeth off and looking to get new one. I'm fairly certain the broken one was original to factory.

Anyone know actual PN and source to get a good quality part? (348/turboglide setup, if that matters)

Reactions: 327

4spd409

Well Known Member
I believe that the flywheel is unique to the turboglide. I doubt that they are reproduced. Probably have to settle for used. I may have a used one, will check tomorrow.

wristpin

Well Known Member
I think i have one from a '67 283/tg. Anyone know will it fit his?
I have a couple flywheels. How will i know its pg for sure?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I think i have one from a '67 283/tg. Anyone know will it fit his?
I have a couple flywheels. How will i know its pg for sure?
Turbo Glide died in 61,so I doubt that 67 had one unless somebody was really desperate to get the car going again.

cowsaredelicious

Ok, thanks guys

If the darn flex plate is going to be that hard to track down. Maybe it’s time to retire the thing. She bleeds and marks her territory everywhere she goes anyway. Would be nice to have a clean shop floor for once.

What trans would be a plug and play. Or best option for least messing around? New or used, either way but best reliability for the money.

I’d still rather just replace the broken part but if that’s going to be an architectural hunt…

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I always thought that if one was to take it out you can have the ring gear cut off and a new 1 welded on but maybe I'm wrong. Sad thing is I used to have one but threw it out with my scrap pile a few years ago