1960 tri power convert.

ctauto

Hello gentleman (ladies also) I found a low millage '60 convert w/ 348 solid lifter tri power, 3 speed trans..
I looked at this car a few years ago, and it may now be available for purchase.
The owner stated it was a 350hp factory car,(it was tucked into a barn and I could not check the code)
The information here shows it as an option , yet the suffix code FH shows it only as a 1961 engine.
I haven't been on this site for awhile but respect its members knowledge of these cars, my question are:
Did Chevrolet really offer the 350hp engine in 1960 ? would it have the same FH code as a '61?
The car was very nice , started and ran very well on a extremely cold day..
The owner stated the chrome valve covers were factory installed..
The car is nice, the owner is not! He's given us a chance to buy this car and any help would be appreciated.
I'd ratter just walk away from this man, but it's a nice car and I've always been sorry I sold my '60 convert. years ago!

Thanks again......... Frank

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think they started putting the FH stamped engines in cars around April of 1960 if I read correctly.... I f you do a search there’s lost of info about the 350HP 348 on our site. I have an 011 FH stamped 348 block that was cast in late March of 1960, so they do exist...
Rick

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Depending upon the build date,if it has solid lifters,it could be either FE[335 HP]or FH[350HP].

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I had a 59 chevy tri power 4 speed convertible with solid lifters . I always recall it was a 315 HP factory rated ?
Any solid lifter 59, 60 and 61 tri power convertible is some kind of car ................................... and great to own.
If I knew were my 59 was I would buy it back in a minute.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Richard do you have one for 59's just wanted to see if my old memory HP was right.
Paul

ozzie7

Well Known Member
Here's the entire TSB regarding the suffix/R.P.O. codes added approximately April 1, 1960.
This seems to be a focal point of the HP debate.
The suffix codes listed on this site and others list the FH having 350 HP.
And on the book of numbers page on the show cars site, under the "348 Block Casting Numbers",
the FE, FG, FH, FJ blocks are listed as used in 1960 - Show Cars Book of Numbers
It would be great to see an official Chevrolet document that defines the suffix/R.P.O. codes with HP ratings.

1960-tsb-dr451-1.jpg1960-tsb-dr451-2.jpg1960-tsb-dr451-3.jpg1960-tsb-dr451-4.jpg

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The 59 W engine line up was carried over from late 58 with the 250, 280, 300, and 315 hp engines. On 3-23-59 the 305 Hp with HD powerglide was added the 300 changed to 320 and the 315 was upped to 335.
On the 60 revision in April, the suffix codes represented the internal configuration of the engine and remained the same even though the advertised HP ratings changed. So an FH suffix in late 60 was exactly the same as a 61 FH but for marketing purposes they still listed it as 335 so that they could announce the bigger HP ratings in 61.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
 PVS033.jpg PVS032.jpg
 PVS031.jpg
 PVS046.jpg
Thanks Cecil. So my memory is right about my 1959 Chevy Impala convertible 348 tri power solid lifters - that I remembered as a 59 - 315 HP 348 tri power 4 speed with solid lifters, that I had in 1964 and raced in E/S at Sioux City Dragway (Iowa).
Notice the triangular open exhaust caps behind the front wheel. I had worked at Bucks Muffler in Sioux Falls so
they welded the caps on for me. Original M/T Radar Wheels that I bought.

The colored pictures are in Sioux Falls, South Dakota I think on Minnesota Avenue and 33rd Street.
Maybe someone in South Dakota, North Dakota, Nebraska and Minnesota has seen a 59 like this ?
My dad sold it off his used car lot in Sioux Falls in later 1964 because by late 1964 & 1965 I had a 62 Red Impala 300 HP 4 speed (added that picture -M/T wheels went to this 62) that I raced all over Sioux Falls with the same header caps (except I had a screw on caps on the pipes -take them off with a pipe wrench).
That was some year with the 59 and 62 Chevy's -- was married in Jan 1965 (avoided draft temporarily) in the Army by 1966 to 1969.

Paul

Richard Martin

Well Known Member
Alan Colvin by the Numbers 1955-1959 edition......page 43

“To date (1996) there has not been a Chevrolet suffix code found for the 348/265HP or the 348/300 HP engines.”

Last edited:

ctauto

Thank you for the replies ! This "60 is a 19k original mile car and a believable one at that! Mostly original paint (red) In fact it still has it's original rubber mat carpet. Dash pad has been repaired (and looks it) other than that, the car seems untouched or butchered ..
The car started easily and the solid lifters sounded great! The gentleman who owns it (and several other various converts) knows the currant market and has set a reasonable, but firm price.. Stated he had documentation to prove his claims. I have yet to see it and that obviously would be an important part of this transaction. Hoping to see the car a before it gets "snowed in" . again.
I'd love it to be a documented FH code , but my last "60 348/280 ran just fine!
Thanks again , I'll let you know how this goes or ends !

Regard... Frank.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Alan Colvin by the Numbers 1955-1959 edition......page 43

“To date (1996) there has not been a Chevrolet suffix code found for the 348/265HP or the 348/300 HP engines.”
Colvin made some mistakes and that is just one.
I don't know where he came up with the 265 hp, never seen any reference to that anywhere. The 300 hp is documented from late 58 as FD.

ctauto

Gentleman , Thank you for your help ! I'm done with this car and it's owner. I received a call from the owners agent that the car was sent out to Indiana and was on ebay . (auction ended yesterday ) I checked ended listings and he was right ! The car was then offered to me for 5k more than agreed, if I was willing to pay more he would ship it back to Connecticut ! (pissed me off) I do not know the ebay guy in Indiana that listed it ! Check it out, I do not know how to post the auction ...
I've got to tell you, as much as I like this car, I will never ever deal with this guy again.. I guess it has 22k miles not 19k so I was wrong about that ! This car has so many added on options that in my mind ruins the car ... Maybe someone on this site will like the car and have better luck dealing with the owner. A little hint , he appears to dislike Italians and car dealers..
Best Regards.... Frank.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Gentleman , Thank you for your help ! I'm done with this car and it's owner. I received a call from the owners agent that the car was sent out to Indiana and was on ebay . (auction ended yesterday ) I checked ended listings and he was right ! The car was then offered to me for 5k more than agreed, if I was willing to pay more he would ship it back to Connecticut ! (pissed me off) I do not know the ebay guy in Indiana that listed it ! Check it out, I do not know how to post the auction ...
I've got to tell you, as much as I like this car, I will never ever deal with this guy again.. I guess it has 22k miles not 19k so I was wrong about that ! This car has so many added on options that in my mind ruins the car ... Maybe someone on this site will like the car and have better luck dealing with the owner. A little hint , he appears to dislike Italians and car dealers..
Best Regards.... Frank.

I don't like car dealers or salesmen either their a bunch of dishonest bloodsuckers!!

Mark

ctauto

Why Indiana ? No idea ! My dealings with him were thru a mutual collector /client of mine.. Honestly the owner has some very nice hi dollar cars, he's knowledgeable and maybe personable... everyone has a bad day from time to time.. Maybe someone else will have better luck.
I'm done, have no hard feelings toward him or our mutual friend, after all there just cars ..... I'd love to see someone here get this car..
Regards Frank..