1960 turboglide failed speedo gear

cowsaredelicious

I'm trying to find out if anyone known definitively what gear should be put in a Turboglide. When we purchased the car it came with a working speedo and now the gear teeth have all worn down to nubs. If I had to describe the gear it is 18 tooth and orange (maybe brown).

Can someone clarify the correct PN or what gear should be used.

Also, with the plastic flakes floating around in my tranny, what steps should be done to prevent a rebuild? Or should we just bite the bullet and rebuild? I would sure like not to have to spend the money to have it cleared out but I don't want the small plastic pieces to plug something and cause a more damage.

Please advise

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I don't know about the turbo glide but I would have thought the filter would have stopped the bits from getting g into the rest of the trans. Could drop the pan and just clean it out. New filter. Fill er up and run it again.

Steve

cowsaredelicious

bobs409 - that's a valid point, my suspicion is that the place I purchased it from put the incorrect gear in place. We outlined several things that we wanted corrected before we purchased it and taking delivery of the car was postponed because they stated; "we are having trouble finding the correct speedometer gear for the car"

I started the investigation by removing the gauge cluster thinking ther issue was there but it actively worked by spinning.
Then I pulled the cable and found the end fo the cable was just rounded with a torch (keeping it from unraveling I suppose); not the square drive as would normally insert into the gear.
Then I got under the car and pulled the speedo gear and found it trashed.

My suspicion is that they couldn't find definitive evidence on what the correct gear is and they crammed one in and cut a cable to length, tapping the other end of the cable or working it into the gear somehow to get it "seat".

So, I'm back to trying to find out if someone can confirm that the 18 tooth orange/brown speedometer gear is correct for a 1960 Turboglide.

I plan to pull the pan and filter tonight and try to remove the tailstock and verify the mating part isn't' buggered as well.

Never trust a place trying to sell a car to do a job correctly.

Thanks for your help i'm just having difficulty trying to find anyone who has experience or knowledge of what is correct

bobs409

Administrator
Perhaps the original assembly manual might have those listed, not sure. Not familiar with the old turboglides myself. I have changed gears in powerglides and TH350's on many occasions.

I think some transmissions used a metal drive gear (the one inside) and others used the plastic type. Getting a look in there will be a good idea. If it's like the PG's and TH350's, you should be able to pull the outer gear housing and look in with a flashlight.

I'm thinking the gears probably wouldn't flake or chip off, I think they are nylon or similar so probably wouldn't tear apart. (but I could be wrong, it has happened once!) :D

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Inner[universal cut to length] cables are availeable.In order to get the right gears,you'll need to determine your gear ratio and tire size.

cowsaredelicious

The fact that it is a rare breed and still kicking wants me to keep it indefinably....when it doe eventually die we will most likely swap but until such a day comes we will keep the GM history alive

now back to my original question....the speedometer was accurate prior to death so i'm thinking if I pull the tail-shaft and verify the drive gear then I should be able to replace with like parts.

thoughts

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Personally I don't think you need to pull the tail shaft. I would do some research first. I would think the gear would be a standard GM gear and not specific to Turboglide. You may want to check the slip yoke in the end, it may be in to far and making contact with the speedo gear, that would be my first guess.

blkss64

Well Known Member
The fact that it is a rare breed and still kicking wants me to keep it indefinably....when it doe eventually die we will most likely swap but until such a day comes we will keep the GM history alive

now back to my original question....the speedometer was accurate prior to death so i'm thinking if I pull the tail-shaft and verify the drive gear then I should be able to replace with like parts.

thoughts
What is your tire size and do you know your rear differential gear ratio ?

blkss64

Well Known Member
So I finally have some information. I have an old Canadian 58-70 parts book that has an amazing amount of part numbers and info.

So for the DRIVE gear on the Turboglide, all 58-61 is # 3708144- ( 8 tooth ).

The driven gears are different year to year and engine size.

The DRIVEN gear for the Turboglide, # 3708246 fits 1960 w/283 v8- ( 20 tooth ) blue.

The DRIVEN gear for the Turboglide, # 3756762 fits 1960 w/ 348 v8- ( 18 tooth ) brown.

The above numbers are for a 1960 Chevrolet with a Turboglide.

There are other speedo driven gear numbers for 1958, 1959 and 1961 Turboglides. Do not know why they had so many different numbers on a limited production trans.

Here is another issue. The 61 turboglides w 348 v8s use a brown DRIVEN gear too, but it has a different part number, 3860341.
That gear fits later aluminum PG trans. as well.

So that might be the gear you have or had, that went bad. GM was constantly changing part numbers over the years but I have no way of
knowing when those original part numbers were superseded or just discontinued.

The DRIVEN gear housing is part number 3748533. That seemed to fit a lot of transmissions, not just the Turboglide.

My parts books never had a tire size as a reference for the Turboglide gears throughout any listing.

Good luck, Jon

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The different part numbers reflect the rear ratio and the tire and wheel combo used in production for that year.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If one of these turboglides speedo gears fit later aluminum powerglides, they likely are all the same, turboglides and powerglides. Not sure if you go to some higher ratios if the tranny has a different gear to drive the speedo gear, so they don't all fit?

But you may find a PG speedo gear to fit, depending on your rear end gear and tire size.