1960 vette engine

Mullet

what engines were availible in 60 for the corvette?

Me and my dad are having a slight argument about what you could get in them.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Father Knows Best

Ronnie Russell said:
Never argue with Daddy, " Father knows Best ". :) :)

That would be a good title for a TV show. Might have to look into that.:clap :clap

DennisK

I think the 290hp F.I. 283 was top dog in '60. You could get a 315 hp F.I. 283 in '61.
In '62 you could get a 327, 250hp 300hp 340hp and a 360hp F.I. 396/425hp in '65.:brow :brow

Mullet

I think the 290hp F.I. 283 was top dog in '60

thats what I was thinking but he still says that you could order one with any engine you wanted from the dealer, more specifically a 348. And he wont believe me until I find some sort of informations saying specifically that you could not get that engine in that car.

I see where I get my stubbornness from :bang

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
What I recall...

The 283 was the "base model" engine in the Corvette for 1960, and there were no other options, other than how that engine was built. I can't remember the base engine HP, but it was probably around 220 HP (single four barrel). Then there were two setups with dual quads (rare that year) that had 245 and 270 horses respectively. The two fuelie setups were "top dog", as mentioned, and had 275 horses and 315 horses. Not bad for a small block build in 1960 :).

That's from memory, I'll look them up when I ge the chance and see if I got it right.

Cheers!
TomK

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Don't sweat this one Mullet, belive me, if the 348 was an option for the 60 Vette we would know it. The answer has to be NO!:rolleyes:

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I can tell you for a fact that in 1959 you could only get a 283 cu. in. engine in the Corvette. The 348 was not available because my cousin tried to order one and got a 270hp dual quad 283 instead. I had my 58 and he wanted a Corvette with the same engine. The only engines other than small blocks came much later with the introduction of the big block. :deal Roy

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Mullet, The 1960 Corvette had the following V8 engine.

Super Turbo-Fire 283 230 hp @4800 rpm (cast-iron block & heads) hydraulic valves

Corvette optional 283 245 hp @5000 rpm (cast-iron block & aluminum head) hydraulic valves

Corevette Ram-Jet Fuel-injected optional 283 250 hp @5000 rpm (cast-iron block & head) hydraulic valves

Corvette optional 283 270 hp @6000 rpm (cast-iron block & aluminum head) solid lifters & special cam

Corvette optional Fuel-injected 283 275 hp @5200 (cast-iron block & aluminum head) my book shows both solid & hydraulic valves ?

Special Corvette Ram-Jet fuel-injected 283 290 hp @6200 rpm (cast-iron block & head) hydraulic valves

Corvette optional 283 315 hp @6200 rpm (cast-iron block & aluminum head) solid valves

Chevrolet pulled all of the aluminum heads due to possible partial melting of the aluminum early in production and replaced them with cast-iron.

Dave

M

MK IISS

1960 Corvette Engines

The actual 1960 Corvette engine horsepower ratings were the same as 1959.

283/230.. base engine..single 4-bbl carb, standard hyd. cam. Also was optional in the 1960 full size passenger cars.

283/245.. base engine plus 2X4bbl carbs and premium bearings.

283/250.. essentially the same as the 245 horse 2X4bbl engine except with fuel injection replacing the carbs.

283/270..essentially the same as the 245 horse 2X4bbl engine but with the famous sold lifter Duntov cam instead of the hyd. cam.

283/290..top dog fuel injected 283 with fuel injection, solid lifter Duntov cam and a higher 10.5 compression ratio.

Although early 1960 consumer and AMA specs show the fuel injected 250 horse and 290 horse engines bumped to 275 horsepower and 315 horsepower respectively with the addition of a new aluminum larger valve (1.94/1.50 instead of 1.72/1.50) head, it didn't happen. The new aluminum heads failed in testing (leaked coolant inside and outside the engine) and were not released. The larger valve head was re-cast in iron for the 61 injected 283 engines which actually did have the higher 275 and 315 horsepower ratings. This new '61 1.94/1.50 valve head was the first "double hump" version. For the '64 model year an even larger valve (2.02/1.60) "double hump" head was released for solid lifter Corvette 327s although the 1.94/1.50 version was still used on the 327/300 engine. The original 1.72/1.50 valve head was still being used on the 327/250 and 283s.

Mullet

fatride said:
Don't sweat this one Mullet, belive me, if the 348 was an option for the 60 Vette we would know it. The answer has to be NO!:rolleyes:

that is exactally why I asked here, but even with all the proof I have given him he still says "you could order any car any way you wanted it." :bang

He just cant admit that I am right about this and he is wrong.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Might as well give up !! People like that never learn,,,,:doh

Attachments

• Dumb Ass.JPG
    Dumb Ass.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 24
M

MK IISS

fuel tank?

Ya lost me there, Mullet,...What about the 24 gallon fuel tank?

and he said.... "it doesn't say you couldn't get it." get what?

Mullet

MK IISS said:
Ya lost me there, Mullet,...What about the 24 gallon fuel tank?

and he said.... "it doesn't say you couldn't get it." get what?

it says n/a in quanity of 24 gallon fuel tank, and "it doesn't say you couldn't get it." was refering to the 348 in a corvette

M

MK IISS

"It doesn't say you couldn't get it like it does with the 24 gallon fuel tank."

The n/a in the chart doesn't mean you couldn't order the "big tank" or it wasn't available.....it simple means Chevrolet does not have a record of how many 24 gal. tanks were ordered/installed in 1960 Corvettes. The same goes for the nylon tires. In other words n/a, in this case, means..information not available..not that the tank wasn't available. It was available.

Yes, the chart does not say the 348 wasn't available but it also does not say the Chevy 235 six-cylinder or a Boeing aircraft engine wasn't available. Frankly... to make the quantum leap that you could get a 348 or any other engine other than a 283 in a 1960 Corvette just because it doesn't specifically say you couldn't is not cognitive thinking.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Awh heck just give in !!!

Tell him you could also get an L88 !!!! You just had to wait a few years for delivery!!:deal

Attachments

• 5uUyxvv7zbsTN9zGTyaOWJxWeq0X.jpeg
    5uUyxvv7zbsTN9zGTyaOWJxWeq0X.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 13

Mullet

MK IISS said:
The n/a in the chart doesn't mean you couldn't order the "big tank" or it wasn't available.....it simple means Chevrolet does not have a record of how many 24 gal. tanks were ordered/installed in 1960 Corvettes. The same goes for the nylon tires. In other words n/a, in this case, means..information not available..not that the tank wasn't available. It was available.

Yes, the chart does not say the 348 wasn't available but it also does not say the Chevy 235 six-cylinder or a Boeing aircraft engine wasn't available. Frankly... to make the quantum leap that you could get a 348 or any other engine other than a 283 in a 1960 Corvette just because it doesn't say you couldn't is not cognitive thinking.

That's what I understood it to be but there is still no convincing him otherwise.

Well I think that if I argue anymore it may drive me to drink.