1961 409 buildup on MuscleCarTV!!!

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
I had turned on Spike TV - as I do every Saturday - and was immediately interested when I saw them working on a 1961 Impala 2-dr sedan. Its the beginning of the buildup and they were going through their plans for the drivetrain. I thought 'not another LS1' (great engine, just WAY overdone). When they mentioned 481ci 409 with Edelbrock top end I nearly flipped!! They replay every Saturday episode again on Sunday - so set your VCRs/DVRs! Here is a link to the info: http://www.powerblocktv.com/sites/musclecar/episodes/index.php?ep_num=MC2008-09&ep_sea=0801

Yeah, Bob Walla, Rich Rojeski, Lamar Waldon, have all had aluiminum heads available for a while... some a LONG while.
Edelbrock doesn't have a head available yet ( and the proto-type design appears inferior ), but THEY get the TV air time:dunno
money

gotta love it :evil

blown 409

Well Known Member
61 409

i watched that episode too, will be cool, to bad they dont have sombody that know,s about 409,s wonder how that sedan is going to get to look like there Bubble top photo????

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't think I've ever seen a braced frame before like they are doing.....it MIGHT help rigidity??

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
Supposed to keep it from flexing under extreme torque...duh. I don't know enough to comment, but I would think G M would have known that if it was necessary. 'Course they were doing good to get 400+ BHP under perfect circumstances back then.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It probably wasn't necessary in 61. My guess is these "X" frame cars do flex but it just wasn't that noticeable back then. Here's a picture of Kenny Walsh. Now that's extreme torque!

kenwalsh2006.jpg

BROOKLYNSS409

Well Known Member
:dunno well is that frame twist or just suspension movement

i guess its safe to so both but if it were the frame, wouldnt the glass pop out. :dunno

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
OK

Those that can do this....lets share the overall recipe with the rest of us. I want my car to be able to do this before both of us head on out to pasture.

Past threads touched on shock/spring variances from one side to another. The engine and tranny should be stout enough on the 62'..but what is the gear ratio, axles and tire size, that might need to be considered, amongst possible other things.

RCE1962

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I have seen some A bodies(Chevelles,GTOs, Buick GSs) twist like that and others without bracing running the same times not twist. I would think an X could have more tendency to twist around the center and lateral bracing connecting the outside of the Xs help more that just beefing up the center like they did.

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
I have seen an "X" frame break!

Passenger side rear leg, just behind the X junction. :mad:

348 4-speed car, no posi.

I will be reinforcing mine, probably an IXI configuration.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Richard that is what I would think would be the best. Add that 4th link on the rear also.

I know alot of the A body guys having luck adding the drag race "sway bars" the the bar bolts to the frame and links drop down to the rear.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just watched MuscleCar TV today and now they are putting a stock 348 in it. The 348 is coming from Gas Monkey Garage here in Dallas. :scratch :scratch :scratch I guess they found out how much it would cost to build a 409!!! :takethat :doh :takethat :doh :roll

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Heck if they had saved the money on the frame bracing/powder coating they could have built an 09!