1961 409

M

MK IISS

"The 360 horse 409 came along in March, followed in extremely limited numbers by a ferocious dual quad 409 horse 409 in June- - these later cars were fitted with a special use chassis and a unique air intake system that was the precursor of the fabulous racing Z11s of 1962-1963."

'580X (RPO) is the "409 Turbo Fire V8" and 587B is the "Conversion Dual 4BC". 'This was a limited Production Option (LPO) for very late in the 1961 model year, or June, which included an "1109W Spec Use Chassis" and an "1110Z Performance Package". This was the forerunner to the fabulous Z11 racing Impalas of 1962-1963.'

This information is from a magazine called: CHEVY POWER, Milestones Series by Trader Publishing Company which has a Clearwater Florida address.

Wonder where they came up with this information. ? ?

CHEV601234

Well Known Member
Richard,
I remenber an article in a magazine about a year or so ago about a '61 "SS" owned by Bill Clement in Lubbock TX. (Chevycraft) The "WZ" special option stuff came from him, I'd guess. I think it was a Shadow Gray car.

M

MK IISS

The car in the photo is Shadow Gray with red interior, red side insert, red in the vents below the back window and dual rear antennas. The author of the info is a Jerry Heasley. So maybe he got the info from Bill Clement. Apparently Trader Publishing Co. is the same outfit that prints the weekly Auto Trader book.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,

I have seen pictures of the car that you referred to. Shadow Gray 61 Impala's were only available with Ermine White side inserts. When you see cars incorrectly restored, as this car is, it tends to make you leary of the car in general.

It would be my guess that very little about this car is correct.

M

MK IISS

The correctness of the car in the photo was of no concern to me. It may have nothing to do with the info...just a file photo. My interest was the RPO/LPO, unique air intake system, etc. claims of Mr. Heasley. I have never heard of any of this stuff before...could be b.s.