1961 center support bearing / carrier

ken smith

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Both of those ideas are great! Really like the idea of drilling the sides of the tunnel ,but I'll probably install a billet type support with the poly center...looks to be stronger
Again I thank you guys!

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Both of those ideas are great! Really like the idea of drilling the sides of the tunnel ,but I'll probably install a billet type support with the poly center...looks to be stronger
Again I thank you guys!

I bought the Inland driveshaft. It's more than twice the diameter of the original shaft. Very beefy unit. If you go with the Inland, you'll never have breakage issues.

Tri5man

Well Known Member
Yep, the Inland Empire Driveline (IED) heavy duty billet carrier bearing and rear driveshaft with a slip joint for $330 is the way to go. I always install a rubber gasket (piece of old inner tube) under the bearing mount to eliminate inducing harmonics into the frame. Be sure your phasing is correct.

BEWARE- I was advised by IED at a show recently that the Chinese are now selling a reproduction of IED's carrier bearing. Be careful who you buy from. It could be made in China by small children using inferior materials.

Gary

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yep, the Inland Empire Driveline (IED) heavy duty billet carrier bearing and rear driveshaft with a slip joint for $330 is the way to go. I always install a rubber gasket (piece of old inner tube) under the bearing mount to eliminate inducing harmonics into the frame. Be sure your phasing is correct.

BEWARE- I was advised by IED at a show recently that the Chinese are now selling a reproduction of IED's carrier bearing. Be careful who you buy from. It could be made in China by small children using inferior materials.

Gary
Hey Gary,

I just had a carrier bearing break this week end. I did weld mine up with a steel strap around the housing. Should hold for now.

I was thinking about using one of the billet center supports. Will the billet support work with the stock drive shaft or is it necessary to use a new shaft with a rear slip joint?
100_2249.JPG 100_2258.JPG

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Jim, You must use the telescoping rear drive shaft with the solid center bearing support. Only the rubber donut will survive with the one piece rear drive shaft. Because I have the one piece rear shaft, I destroyed my urethane center bearing support and went back to the rubber donut with a reinforced mount like yours. BTW, make sure the rear suspension is loaded with the rear body weight before tightening the center support. Leo

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Leo. I thought I read that when the billet supports came out years ago but I couldn't remember. I have heard from another member that runs the billet support with the stock drive shaft and has had no problem. Must depend on how much the suspension moves? I guess I'll just run the reinforced support for now and see how it holds up.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yea that's me. Have had my inland empire solid center support bearing on the car with the stock driveshaft for probably 6 years now. Working great

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yea that's me. Have had my inland empire solid center support bearing on the car with the stock driveshaft for probably 6 years now. Working great

Same here Empire billet support on a stock drive shaft assembly. No problems or vibrations.

Car is a show car and not drag raced. If it was I would upgrade to the Empire complete driveshaft assy.

Mike