1961 Dog Dish/Poverty Cap Question.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Gang,

I've looked around, but couldn't really come up with a correct answer, so I'll ask the experts here!

Would this cap for the 1961 full size Chevrolet, been fitted on an '61 Impala trim level?

Were they only for Biscaynes and Belairs? I ask, because my VERY basic 2 door sedan Impala did not have wheel covers when I found her. The original wheels that were on it, didn't have the tale-tell full wheel cover scrapes from the retainers. It did have paint marrs on the inner nubs though.

This car was already a weird bird. 2 doors sedan, no factory radio, 235 and 3 speed. I have an idea about modifying a set of large diameter steel rims with early GM hubcap retaining clips, and running these dog dishes. Just a thought ;)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Impala caps were full sized. BUT......my 63 Impala had the small caps.

Come on Phil......unless you ordered the full wheel cover a standard Impala came equipped with the small hub caps. Only the Super Sport had full covers as part of the package

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I looked at all four wheels on my car and none of them had the full wheel cover "teeth" marks. Maybe they had been repainted in the past. I still may attempt my evil plans, muhahaha!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I looked at all four wheels on my car and none of them had the full wheel cover "teeth" marks. Maybe they had been repainted in the past. I still may attempt my evil plans, muhahaha!
The 61 wheel covers don't have the teeth, they have a rolled lip and that is why the wheels have the nubs to hold the wheel cover. The only interferance marks that would be evident would be on the nubs.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8

You aren't going to find "teeth marks" on '61 wheels, they didn't appear until 1962. The 61 full wheel covers snapped over the nubs on the wheels. I hear ya Phil, what's the saying.... where were you in '62 :D

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Come on Phil......unless you ordered the full wheel cover a standard Impala came equipped with the small hub caps. Only the Super Sport had full covers as part of the package
Tommy,
My 61 Bel Air Sport Coupe came with full wheel covers.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
A-ha! I didn't realize the '61 full size caps attached to the inner ring. That makes complete sense now. I have been looking all evening at original pictures of '61 Impalas, Biscaynes, and Belairs. I could only find full wheel covers depicted on Impala trim levels...

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A-ha! I didn't realize the '61 full size caps attached to the inner ring. That makes complete sense now. I have been looking all evening at original pictures of '61 Impalas, Biscaynes, and Belairs. I could only find full wheel covers depicted on Impala trim levels...
No they did not attach to the inner hub like the dog dish caps. They attach to the outer wheel. If your car has the original wheels it will have 4 small nubs on the outer wheel hoop.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
The assembly manual shows 3 different part numbers for wheel covers. One is shown as part of the SS package and has a picture showing the full size with spinner. The chart for the other 2 shows that either could be fitted to any model. I am guessing the option 117 one is the common full size. The other number which appears to be the standard equipment is not shown in a picture but was designated for all models.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Dan, the plot thickens. I have one rim that has the 4 nubs on the outer rim and the remaining 3 just the inside ring nubs. I swore that the rims were original to the car, now I have my doubts :( Oh well, they are have a very short time to live anyway since I just picked up a power disc brake conversion kit, yeehaw!! I'm a sucker for dog dish hubcaps, that's what brought this whole idea on!