1961 Impala.... I had to share this with you guys

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
That's terrible!!!! Didn't look like the car had an engine in it the way it crumpled.

Why didn't the douche bags use a 4-door???????????????????:cry:cry:cry

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:eek:

That is one thing that can be said for modern cars is they are truly much safer than the cars of years past. Technology has come a long way. Man that thing crumpled like a tin can! :doh

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
DDDAAMMMM!!!!:eek::mad::grumble::nono1::cry:cuss I'm gonna have to go lay down for a while after that

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't think that is a fair comparison for a crash test. Yes I'll agree that the new cars are better......... but all the new car crash tests that I've seen they run the car into a solid wall so the whole front takes the impact. I've never seen a crash test where they hit a pole in the center of the hood.......... and how fast was the bubble top going ??????????

Dave

S

Swiss Impala

I agree with Dave. This was not a test as seen today. And I think there was
no engine inside. It looks unrealistic in some way. We should know the
circumstances why they did it this way and what they wanted to show or prove with it.

I also would like to know the date of the test.
May be Mr. O wants to show us what terrible cars we drive. :D :D

If these cars were so "weak" there would have been more terrible accidents with them. Again, it looks unrealistic for me.
And Mr. Nader would have had a second victim, not only the Corvair.
I have no problem to drive the Impala in future time.

Franz

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
No engine

Don't think there was an engine, we would have seen it pushed to the back seat. Must have run right through the frame horns and onto the cowl. But that front bumper certainly would have stopped it better than that, don't you think? Those babies are solid AND heavy.

And just how fast was that vehicle being pushed?

Ouch....

TomK

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
WOW! That's really spine-tingling to see! I'd sure like to know how fast they had that car going. From the looks of that, I'd guess at least 75 MPH. Who knows, maybe even 100, the way that the roof even comes off.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Holy C-R-A-P :eek: I got a headache, watching that.:doh Definitely, no engine.:doh

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ya know......I would really like to think that there is an engine in that car. When you simulate any kind of test, you always want close to actual conditions and we don't drive engine-less cars around!

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think the test is bogus.......... as I said before they don't do crash tests with poles and there is no way a car with an engine could fold a frame like that one did.

On top of that my first car was a '58 Chevy.... I was kind'a wild & a little crazy back then...... it ran into all kinds of things.... at some pretty good speeds....... it had 3 different colored front ends on it while I owned it plus several other fenders, bumpers & grills......... even hit the ditch at about 60 MPH one night backwards...... You shouldn't let someone talk you into a 1/4 mile street race when there's black ice on the road......... It was a tough old bear........... You could never sell me that vidio.

Dave

S

Swiss Impala

I think too, that this test is manipulated. Something is wrong with it. It is bogus!
I agree with you, Dave.
The pole goes through it like a hot knife through butter!
These cars are rather strong, compared to new cars too strong in some way.
There is no "weak" zone that eliminates forces.
So, ask Mr. O.... and his "green fellows" what they want to show us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May be they want to make us afraid driving these babies. No chance!!!
Here in Switzerland these crazy "green" ones have the same stupid ideas!!!!!

Have a good time and a lot of fun with your full size Chevy's,

Franz

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hi guys, the images are from a documentary made about auto safety, the car has motor and trans, and speed was about 60MPH, I saw this on Discovery channel aprox 2 years ago.
i always make sure when I drive my 61 Bubble top not to hit any 2 1/2 foot embedded posts ( or trees) dead centre at 60 MPH.