1961 Impala SS 409 2dr sedan?

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
More than likely a 283 car, at least the VIN shows a V8 Impala 2 door sedan.
Don't know about the funky cowl plate

• Haha
Reactions: 327

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Terrible SS clone, so many things wrong with it. The cowl tag is a custom made fake that contains some information from the original cowl tag, like build date 11E - 5th week November 1960, which confirms it was built too early to be a genuine SS, but the body number lines up with an early Kansas City car and the ACC code is correct for a tinted windshield. But the VIN is welded or riveted on upside down and the window sticker is a terrible fake. The trim and paint codes are "BLACK" and "GREY", which is the Canadian spelling for gray... hilarious! The story was cool, but the original Pikes Peak car is probably long gone.

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
i guess their trusting the sellers information is true and correct( which i don't believe it is )
there are lots of thieving rats out there,............the last thing i want when i sell something is someone coming back to me because i sold something it's not!

DaveN

Well Known Member
Hi Carl Have you registered this 61 Impala it has vin 11837F243587 body FC17601 Trim 809 Paint 900 Acc, W8K My friend owned this car and always thought it may have been a 4 speed 409 car. He stored in a friends barn a long time ago and when he brought it back to his house the Vin and Trim tags were not on the car. He believed the person who stored it took them off and sold them. the guy of course played dumb and said that someone must of stole them off the car. I asked Vern about this car and he never replied back confirming the cars heritage.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Hi Carl Have you registered this 61 Impala it has vin 11837F243587 body FC17601 Trim 809 Paint 900 Acc, W8K My friend owned this car and always thought it may have been a 4 speed 409 car. He stored in a friends barn a long time ago and when he brought it back to his house the Vin and Trim tags were not on the car. He believed the person who stored it took them off and sold them. the guy of course played dumb and said that someone must of stole them off the car. I asked Vern about this car and he never replied back confirming the cars heritage.
I haven't recorded the details of this car, but it was a 348 or 409 car and a very late build in probably mid to late July 61 at Flint. Do you have a photo of the cowl tag or just the details?

DaveN

Well Known Member
I only have the details the car was a shell with the tags removed already when I saw it. my friend had it for a long time he used the 4 speed parts for the restoration of his 61 SS clone back in the 80's. It didn't have a powertrain when he bought it. He only suspected it might have been a 409 car.

Reactions: 327

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
I've said it on the other thread the grill emblem is like a zit on a beauty queens nose, sorry if I was trying to convince someone of this 409 car, the least you could do is get it right, there is no excuse, why would someone change it, it doesnt customize it, it downgrades it. cool car but sorry not sorry!