1961 One Piece Bumpers????

nasblu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
On 1961 Impalas were the one-piece bumpers only available on California built cars? I have heard it was a result of a strike that Chevrolet outsourced another manufacture of bumpers as result the one piece was born. If the parts manufacture strike was true you would think that supply would also be affected at other factories?? My car was built in St Louis could it have came with one-piece bumpers.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I believe yes, because if the car was California Delivered/sold it would have to have the one-piecce bumbers as per the California State law. Hopefully others will chime in.

Kevin

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
One piece bumpers were optional use on the assembly line depending on the assembly plant.....that way since at least 55. The fact that California built cars seem to have the most usage of one piece bumpers is likely due to the plants internal procedures and parts suppliers.

See sheets 4.00 and 6.00 in Section 14 of the 61 Assemby Manual. Similar notes appear in the 55-60 manuals also.

Example:

Sect 14 Sheet 4.00 Rear Bumper

**3772945-6 Bar- Outer Face L. & R.H (Except 11-12-15-16-17-1845 Wagons)
3777567-8 (11-12-15-16-17-1845) (9 Pass Wagon)

* 3777937 Bar- Bumper Face (Except STA-Wag)
3777938 (11-12-15-16-17-1835) (6 Pass Wagon)
3777939 (11-12-15-16-17-1845) (9 Pass Wagon)

**Three Piece Bumper-Opt.
* One Piece Bumper-Opt.

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Definitely the preferred way to sport a bumper in 1961, 1 piece design has the clean seamless design. I installed them on my St. Louis factory convertible.

Something to keep in mind when choosing a front and rear 1-piece bumper, they require the use of a bracket that is designed for these bumpers in order to complete the installation. 3-piece brackets will not work. Sorry, I do not have a pic of my front 1-piece brackets, but here's a pic of my rear brackets.

1220091110a_381514.jpg

1220091525a_289156.jpg

1018091711a_377162.jpg

1203091947a_385869.jpg

Installed on the LA built Nomad...
1220091613a_431296.jpg

1220091606a_480457.jpg

1220091617a_420896.jpg

jpeg_reencoded_302329.jpg

nasblu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the tips!!! My 1961 was a St Louis built car also. It has the one piece bumper on the car. I am just curious if the St Louis factory was one that could have used them.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I have owned two '61's that were built in SL, both had the three piece bumpers. I have also owned a VN car and it had three piece bumpers. However, any of them could have been changed somewhere along the line.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
My builds

I have a 1961 Belair I purchased from the original owners, it was made in St. Louis and had the 3 piece bumpers.

I had a 1961 Impala I used for parts, it was an LA car and it had the one piece bumpers. I snagged those along with the brackets before cutting the car up. It was a factory 348 with a four speed. so I got that, the one piece smooth column, the spaghetti shifter and more parts. I even removed the bubbletop (you never know!) and cut out the factory four speed pan over the hump.

Cheers!
TomK

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Those cars & bumpers are AWESOME !!!:clap SHOW OFF !! ( tee hee):cheers:cheers
:doh :D

Thanks for the tips!!! My 1961 was a St Louis built car also. It has the one piece bumper on the car. I am just curious if the St Louis factory was one that could have used them.
According to what was pointed out by Oldskydog, they could have been ordered or installed.

I have owned two '61's that were built in SL, both had the three piece bumpers. I have also owned a VN car and it had three piece bumpers. However, any of them could have been changed somewhere along the line.
Interesting..

My 61 is a St Louis car and is 3 pc
robert
My convertible originally sported them as well and they now rest in 3 pieces on my garage shelves. :crazy

I have a 1961 Belair I purchased from the original owners, it was made in St. Louis and had the 3 piece bumpers.

I had a 1961 Impala I used for parts, it was an LA car and it had the one piece bumpers. I snagged those along with the brackets before cutting the car up. It was a factory 348 with a four speed. so I got that, the one piece smooth column, the spaghetti shifter and more parts. I even removed the bubbletop (you never know!) and cut out the factory four speed pan over the hump.

Cheers!
TomK
Tom, Tony aka Skim is reproducing the rear California Brackets now, just as seen in my photo. They are a perfect match to the OEM ones, I had no troubles whatsoever with them in getting that purdy bumper to install. Now, if he can only get the front California brackets done, things will be much easier when finding 1 piece bumper laying around. :D

biscaynewagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thank you for showing off (:cheers) your back wagon one piece bumper !:D:D

One question thou...

my 1961 Canadian built Brookwood has 1 piece front bumper and 3 piece(s) rear bumper, and just wondering if you would know the middle piece would be the same as the sedan 3 piece bumper? because mine is a little bent or this whole thing is another "wagon thing" only?

Thanks !!

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Thank you for showing off (:cheers) your back wagon one piece bumper !:D:D

One question thou...

my 1961 Canadian built Brookwood has 1 piece front bumper and 3 piece(s) rear bumper, and just wondering if you would know the middle piece would be the same as the sedan 3 piece bumper? because mine is a little bent or this whole thing is another "wagon thing" only?

Thanks !!

That would be a negative. Sedan, Coupe or Convertible rear bumper will NOT work as the Station Wagon bumpers are entirely different. Here's a shot of my 61 Parkwood and as you can see the opening of the license plate panel is much longer versus the normal passenger car bumper. I'd say just pull your Brookwood bumper and get her straightened at a bumper shop. Make sure not to ever throw away your license panel either, because they are becoming very hard to find and are worth a pretty penny in 1961.

DSCN8372.jpg