1961 SS car I'm building

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I have been gathering parts for a wore out car I picked up years ago. I've had it stored waiting until all the parts are together. This is actually the first car I started out to build when life and other cars got in the way.
The primary reason is this will be a clone of what I ran in the mid-1960's. It was a black 61 Impala SS 409, originally a 348 and I put the 409 in. You know we always want the car we remember/enjoyed the most.
This car had the usual rust, so we had to cut and paste as stuff fell off! Floor pans were really what was needed. It is a Baltimore built car, with trim tag build the last week of production before the 62's begin. Will tell you why this is interesting later.
While collecting 61 parts, moldings, grille, etc I stumbled onto some stuff very interesting. Now, I have to say a great thank you to lots of guys here. It began with Cecil, he had found a 2x4 881 intake, however it was not an 881 casting. I bought it from him,

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Ok, sorry I keep hitting post tab.

The intake is L59819 not 881, date 6-1-61. Next I discovered our newest Grandfather Tom had an 068 block that was cast a week before the intake. He graciously sold it to me. Then out of the blue I find a pair of 690 heads in Phoenix cast May of 61. Now I have the entire major parts, even a water pump. The intake is cast with the pre-production info, the precursor to the 62 2x4 881 intake. The heads and block are the earliest 690/068's I have ever seen. Interesting I have a 623 first series short block and its casting date is the week before the 068 block.
Now, in the stacks of Chevrolet documents I have is one that spells out how at the very end of the 61 production run they built 10 engines that were 409/409 engines. Chevrolet also notified NHRA of the new engine so it could be included in the rule books/details. Those engines were shipped to Don Nicholson and the rest of those actively campaigning Chevrolets.
I have no way of knowing the history of these parts, but I am building the engine and car to be what this would have been. At least the casting dates match everything.
The car does have the original correct SS parts, correct casting info on the back, solid wheel covers, power steering, etc.
So with any luck in a few months the car will be finished. My throw back to the past will be on the road again!

PS, I had LaCosta Fenderwell headers, I doubt I could ever find a set of those! LaCosta had worked for Jerry Jardine and built his own.

I will send several photos.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks great Pat, and what a great collection of parts to make this car special as always...:deal

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Geez Pat, you take direction well.

Thank you, you are a lucky fortunate fellow.

Don

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pat, that's a very cool collection of parts you have there and the earliest 2x4 components I've ever seen. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this but that car needs to be done up in vintage 1961 OS/S trim!
Mark, Look at your message count...:deal From here on out your a Stroker...:brow

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Pat:

Glad to get an update on the project. One of my favorite body styles, that '61 :).

Say, that tranny looks familiar! Wayne Euper, Mr. Fourspeed around here, had his fingers in that T-10, so you know it's done correctly. It just fits well with that 068 block :).

Keep us posted as things develop!

Cheers!
TomK

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Those pictures of the body with the fresh black paint just waiting for assembly......I know they don't compare to the rarity and awesomeness of the parts, but those pictures are sure inspiration for me.

I'm very happy for you to be finally building a tribute to your first one. I know that even with all of your other amazing cars that this one will be dearest to you.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Hi pat,I am the guy that did a video of Phil driving your red 62 at the great bend,ks convention. Any way,,,,,,,,,,,, Do you happen to know what became of your first 61 ,any vin number"s to trace???

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thanks guys, it's really the one I have wanted to build for years. I've had a storage facility for the body & frame and all the separate parts boxed up in my warehouse. I have a 61 350HP 348 I was going to put in it, then along came the 360HP 409 and then thanks to Tom & Cecil & a guy in Phoenix this engine is in play.
Not that I would run them, but I have a pair of brand new Atlas Bucron tires, 8.50x14 I think. Nah, got to at least try them with tubes.
I bet when I take it back to where I used to live and do a little street racing the "ghost of that completely unreasonable motorcycle cop" will probably appear in my rear view mirror!!!?