1962 409 correct master cylinder #.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The original GM Screw top master cylinder with part number ending in 984 is for standard brakes( stamped on the bottom of the shaft).
The screw top master cylinders with part # 5460225 are for power brakes.
In my opinion I see zero difference in these two original screw top master cylinders except the different numbers.
I have rebuilt and sold off my extra original screw top 62-63 master cylinders ( with new brass or stainless steel sleeves).

Paul

Junky

Well Known Member
I have had this one sitting under my desk now for over 2 years, trying to decide what to do with it. I just ordered a rebuild kit for it this week. I also have a few 1"MVC-001L.JPGMVC-002L.JPGMVC-004L.JPG cores that will need to be sleeved and or honed and rebuilt. I have some covers and thumb screws, however, they are originals needing plating.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
The only difference that I can see between the power brakes and non-power brakes master cylinders for a 62 is the cut out underneath. Note in one of Paul's photos the "square" underneath the master cylinder, and in one of Junky's photos the "square" has what looks like two sides ground down to produce a space, which I always assumed was for the vacuum hose to slot into. My car was originally non-power braked, but I installed a booster and kept the original screw-top non-power brake master cylinder and it works great. I got my NOS master cylinder from Auto Parts Obsolete for about $45 a few years ago, but the prices appear to have gone up a bit since then...

Attachments

• DSCN1448.JPG
    DSCN1448.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 22

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Thanks Tommy, for the top and the screw shaft its $ 44 from Zip Corvette (they are listed under 63 not 62.)

I have about 10 original caps and screw top shafts -some are pitted...
Paul