1962 409 exhaust piece not sure what its called and what's it function

good morning Don/everyone, question for you. I have a 1962 409. There is an exhaust piece that goes on the driver side , at the end of the exhaust manifold. I am not sure what its called and what's it function? Also, I don't recall taking off any springs to it. Does it just open by its self from the exhaust pressure?

Please let me know youtr thoughts and as always eIMG_2255.JPGveryone's help is greatly appreciated.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
It goes on the passenger side ( the drivers side has the steering shaft)
it’s called the HEAT RISER.
if you have standard exhaust & carburetor, it goes between the exhaust manifold & exhaust pipe.
if you look at it you will see small hole where a small tube runs from the heat riser to the carburetor for faster COLD start ups.

Thanks La hot rods. I learned something to day. That reminds me of my old auto shop teacher in High school, who used to tell us - Don't come to school and not learn something, anything. Don't waste my time and don't waste your time. I don't care what you learn as long as you learn something, he would say Even if you learn who's sister was easy, at least you learned something today.........

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I forgot the heat riser at home when I towned my 58 Impala to the muffler shop so had to buy an $80 used replacement from the shop. Now I have two at home on the shelf.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You can also purchase another version of the heat riser that is a "blank" no flapper, no function but goes in the same space.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't remember the choke stove tube going to heat riser. Thought it went to exhaust manifold. The manifold had a tube inside for heat transfer.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't remember the choke stove tube going to heat riser. Thought it went to exhaust manifold. The manifold had a tube inside for heat transfer.
yup, passenger side with the asbestos sleeve on it...

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
63 went on drivers side didn't it?
Thats what i was thinking my 63 has it on the driver side but then i thought it has the hi po manifolds the 62s did not except near the end of the model run there was a service package that did have the hi po manifolds

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The passenger side manifold on my 63 Chev 340hp 409 has a flat exhaust tip that the top of the heat riser mates to. The bottom of the heat riser has a groove the exhaust donut fits into. The driver side exhaust manifold tip has the donut groove.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The passenger side manifold on my 63 Chev 340hp 409 has a flat exhaust tip that the top of the heat riser mates to. The bottom of the heat riser has a groove the exhaust donut fits into. The driver side exhaust manifold tip has the donut groove.
Yes thats correct on the 340 but the 340 hp manifold is not the same as hi po manifold which as the assembly manual shows the hi po ones go on the driver side and yes the heat tube still goes into the top of the passenger side manifoild

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yes thats correct on the 340 but the 340 hp manifold is not the same as hi po manifold which as the assembly manual shows the hi po ones go on the driver side and yes the heat tube still goes into the top of the passenger side manifoild
Maybe it would have been too close to the starter or frame on the right??