1962 409 police cars

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't need no stinking documation.As a retired automobile mechanic,I've worked on many,many of them,all of which were completely stock daily drivers.I started my career in 1966,when these cars were 4 years old and common.

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
Like yourself, I also have worked on many of these old Chevies. Probably have owned 200 plus between my dad and myself between the 50s to the 70s. I can not remember pulling a cast iron out of a 62 Chev. Them things were really heavy. We use to rebuild those on the garage floor. They were a simple trans back then. The book that I got the info from is a car only book. Nothing on trucks. We have a 62 wagon with a 283 in the neighborhood and the guy is the original owner. I'll go over and check it out.
Good info, thanks for sharing.

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
WELL!!
Here is another story of a 61 dual quad 409 with a power glide!! LOL

Frank RossAug 19, 2016I am here to tell you that there was at least one 1961 Impala with a 409/ 2-4bbls (iron intake) because I had one. It had a 2 SPD Powerglide with a Posi rear end. It was my first car at age 14, you could get your license then at 15 which was a month or so away. I paid $195.00 in 1966 for it and my mother had it checked over at a local garage who's owner was a family friend. He told her to "watch that kid with a car like that" and she probably should have a little closer. The car was a 2 door bubble top tan with tan supposedly a police special according to the serial numbers. We had a great time in that old chevy but it wore tires something awful. Especially the rear ones for some reason. That 409 would turn those rear tires until the Powerglide shifted to high then spin them some more. Not bad for a tank of a car like an Impala. When we raced we used to pile sandbags in the trunk to stop some of the wheelspin. No one from my high school would race me having all seen what it would do (we had an old runway available for such purposes). So we had to go to other towns to find suckers. The worse thing was the gas mileage. At 25 cents a gallon we didn't ever check mileage but I bet it never got better than 5 - 6 miles per gal. Doom came when the torque converter blew up. I parted the car and engine out. Now I am looking for one to build a 32 roadster.

Copied from this article.

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp-0801-348-409-w-engines/[/FONT]

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks for the article David.....by far the best one I've ever read on the "W" motor. :appl By the way, I have a '62 283 w/ cast iron power glide w/ cooled trans lines complete if any ones interested! Came out of the avatar pic car. :winner

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
WELL!!
Here is another story of a 61 dual quad 409 with a power glide!! LOL

Frank RossAug 19, 2016I am here to tell you that there was at least one 1961 Impala with a 409/ 2-4bbls (iron intake) because I had one. It had a 2 SPD Powerglide with a Posi rear end. It was my first car at age 14, you could get your license then at 15 which was a month or so away. I paid $195.00 in 1966 for it and my mother had it checked over at a local garage who's owner was a family friend. He told her to "watch that kid with a car like that" and she probably should have a little closer. The car was a 2 door bubble top tan with tan supposedly a police special according to the serial numbers. We had a great time in that old chevy but it wore tires something awful. Especially the rear ones for some reason. That 409 would turn those rear tires until the Powerglide shifted to high then spin them some more. Not bad for a tank of a car like an Impala. When we raced we used to pile sandbags in the trunk to stop some of the wheelspin. No one from my high school would race me having all seen what it would do (we had an old runway available for such purposes). So we had to go to other towns to find suckers. The worse thing was the gas mileage. At 25 cents a gallon we didn't ever check mileage but I bet it never got better than 5 - 6 miles per gal. Doom came when the torque converter blew up. I parted the car and engine out. Now I am looking for one to build a 32 roadster.

Copied from this article.

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp-0801-348-409-w-engines/[/FONT]

2x4 iron intake?? p0werglide 409 in 61?? of the 150 ish made in 61... a powerglide. This is how stuff goes from urban myth to truth over time. Crap!

Quik9r

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
I think my story was more realistic than his. The torque converters would not hold up if using a PG converter. I bet that since he bought the car in 66 that someone had put an automatic in the car. NOW! for a cast iron dual quad? I have never seen one of those. I do not think even after market would have made one.

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
Thanks for the article David.....by far the best one I've ever read on the "W" motor. :appl By the way, I have a '62 283 w/ cast iron power glide w/ cooled trans lines complete if any ones interested! Came out of the avatar pic car.
:winner
Can you post pictures? Should have a 2 part bell housing. These were internally cooled according to the info that I have read. It's strange that they would put a Cast iron behind a 283 and an aluminum behind the other engines. 4 and 6 cylinders and 327 engines.

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
A 64 Z11?
Someone said that this was Reggie Jacksons car. So it must be correct. LOL
OK!

1964 Biscayne Z11 409 2dr post
"1066" orig miles from new
Fully documented
Z11 409ci 425 hp dual quad
4sd 12 bolt 411
orig paint/orig interior
Refreshed all orig drive line OEM
Radio delete customer order Stock Eliminator
One of the finest 409 cars in existence
For the serious collector
Call/Text 403-617-8731
Located in Alberta

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...st/1224849329?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$_27 (2).JPG $_27 (3).JPG $_27 (1).JPG $_27.JPG
$_27 (1).JPG $_27.JPG

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know Canadian is different sometimes, but my 283 62 had a cast iron PG with adapter and my buddy's Canadian 62 Impala 327 has an aluminum PG. Canadian was different, mostly we were slow, getting new stuff later than US Chevies.
413028491.jpg

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I found these in my collection of stuff. I took these in Las Vegas in 2008 but I don't know where. I think it was a collector museum? Aah same car?
Robert
Las Vegas 2008 031.jpg Las Vegas 2008 030.jpg

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Can you post pictures? Should have a 2 part bell housing. These were internally cooled according to the info that I have read. It's strange that they would put a Cast iron behind a 283 and an aluminum behind the other engines. 4 and 6 cylinders and 327 engines.
Better late than never :crazy...attached is a pic of a '62 282 w/ cast iron powerglide and yes David, it does have the 2 part bell housing w/ the cooling lines to the radiator.

Attachments

• IMG_2857[1].JPG
    IMG_2857[1].JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 23