1962 409CI with 3 Speed ?

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Could you buy a any Biscayne, Belair, Impala, from GM with 409 CI and a 3-speed standard in 1962 ?

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The 3 speed was the base tranny. There is a documented 4 door sedan running around there. with 409/3 speed out there.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes Brian..

and Pat

You are correct on the 4 door sedan, killer 409/409 3 speed car....original owner ordered it without optional 4 speed because wife could drive three on tree. I think the car is owned by a guy that has a 63 Z11 as well?

David Soper

Supporting Member 1
I ordered a 1962 Impala SS with a 409 380 hp motor and three speed .The car came with no tack. The reason for my order was I raced a 58 348 Belair with column shifted 3 speed and before that a 1948 chevy business coupe with a 236 GMC 6 with cam,2- 2 carbs and fenton spilt manifold with column 3 speed. The three speed in the 409 did not last very long before I installed a T10

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is an original owner, 1963 Impala 409 3spd car that I know of that is in the next village over from where I live. Neat car! Hasn't been out in a few years unfortunately but the owner stil changes all the fluids on it regularly and fires it up every now and then. Believe he bought the car to pull a camper with!

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
Super rare 4 door Impala 409-340-Aluminum Power Glide with power brakes and steering. I bought this from the daughter of the original owner. She had it advertised in a local paper in Redford Township MI. A suburb of Detroit. I walked up to the car and I see that its a 4 dr. BLAW!!!. No way it's a 409. Then I look inside the car and its an auto shift on the column. Thinking, this car is bogus. Pop the hood and it has a 409 with a cast intake single carb. OK, only 3 and 4 speeds were the only trans and a single or dual carb aluminum intake was the option in 62. Her dad bought the car new at a local Detroit Chev dealer. He drove the car until 1975. Then it sat in the garage until I bought it in 1980-81. I start pulling it apart and determined that this was not a transplant. This was the real deal. Date of production was Aug 1962. The car had over 100k miles. It had the chrome package, return fuel line etc. Like someone took this 62 body and sat it on a 63 chassis. Had a lot of options and a 3.36 p track. Removed the engine and rebuild it to install in the Gold 62 pictured that I just went Texas and bought it. It was next door to the South Fork Ranch from the show Dallas. This car was fully loaded with air and cruise, windows, steering, brakes, and seats. The engine when rebuilt only needed a clean up. Standard bore and crank. Cam was bad with the timing gears.

1962 Chevy 409-340 Eng.jpg 1962 Chevy 409-340.jpg

Last edited:

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
In the mid 80's I found rough 380/409 3-speed '62 Belair Bubbletop on a used car lot in a small village north of Columbus, Ohio for $1,200.00! Rust in the usual spots but used that car to flat toe then open trailer my '63 "Living Legend" racer. Traded it with cash to Ronnie Evans for a new 5th wheel enclosed trailer. Ronnie was going to clone the "Northwind" '62 and had permission from the original owner. Wonder if Ronnie ever got around to the project? By the way, does anyone know the what -a-bouts of my old aluminum nose warrior? Have some pictures and other stuff that should stay with the car. I'd like to see it one more time. Well, I'm Phil's age so we all know that's old! Wild Bill

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
In the mid 80's I found rough 380/409 3-speed '62 Belair Bubbletop on a used car lot in a small village north of Columbus, Ohio for $1,200.00! Rust in the usual spots but used that car to flat toe then open trailer my '63 "Living Legend" racer. Traded it with cash to Ronnie Evans for a new 5th wheel enclosed trailer. Ronnie was going to clone the "Northwind" '62 and had permission from the original owner. Wonder if Ronnie ever got around to the project? By the way, does anyone know the what -a-bouts of my old aluminum nose warrior? Have some pictures and other stuff that should stay with the car. I'd like to see it one more time. Well, I'm Phil's age so we all know that's old! Wild Bill

A close friend of Ronnie Evan's who is a friend of mine asked me to relay to you that Ronnie was busy working on his own race car and doing body work on other people's cars and Ronnie never started that project. He sold the car to another friend in Pa. who finished the car with a 300 hp 327 and a 4speed.

cuzineddy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Back in the day ('62-3-4) there was a kid who hung out in Skips (Melrose Park, Il.) with a white '62 Biscayne. It was a 409/409 with a 3 speed trans. I never saw another one. I don't know if it was a real 409/409. Back then there was so much engine swapping, that you never knew what was real and what was made up! He just hung out there.....never saw him race. I think he liked the car hops!!

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The running gear (400 tranny, rear end and rear suspension) are now in Michigan and purchased hear by a member from my friend Len Woodrow that had it under his 62 bubble top. Your car should be on the west coast somewhere, last seen crossing the block at Barrett Jackson about 11 years ago??

Quik9r