1962 Belair 409/409

maybe's rod shop

Well Known Member
My '62 Belair back from paint. Nassau blue with blue interior . 409 4 speed. I am used to building cars like this Buick Century without paint ( patina ). I am nervous about putting this one together. I think i need a hazmat suit. LOL!! I am needing to order a lot of parts to put this one back together. Any suggestions on where or where not to order from? My glass guy says i need to order all the rubber from Steele. I need my steering wheel restored or find a good one.I have my interior already. I will need a dual 4 air cleaner, fasteners , a grill ect ect ...IMG_1488.JPG IMG_1485.JPG IMG_1361.JPG

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Car looks good, I like the Buick. I have a steering wheel PM if interested

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Wow, she came out great! This is my favorite part, where the build comes together after paint :).

I think I know why Dan likes that Buick :).

Are you looking for the black dual quad air breather? ShowCars sell repops of them, not sure of quality. We also have a member (Jim Sullivan) who makes a nice replica custom for the 409. Do you have all the side trim?

Good luck on the build!

TomK

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have lots of suggestions for parts, having done 5 -62 Chevy frame off restorations -3 -409 cars. Steele is very good for rubber parts -especially vent window rubbers. I also use soft seal for doors and trunk and rubber parts and windshield. For your bubble top I might suggest Steele for
Interiors two companies are the best. Repro parts be careful of quality. Use Trim Parts for emblems.
I have two Nassau blue 62's.
I also sent you a PM.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a friend in Omaha, NE that does mint original steering wheel restorations. He has done Impalas and Belair steering wheels.
He has the original paint colors. He has done for me 2- Nassau blue Impala Steering wheels in the original colors. I think he gets $175 or $200.
He will be at the Lincoln, NE swap meet on March 6th (as I will be there looking around )
Paul

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Great project, love those lines on the Bel Air. I heard you might need some advice on where to buy your 1/4 window upper channel lining. If so I
bought mine at a place called www.FillingStation.com on page 131-132. Its used in a Chevy / GMC truck window. I believe its a felt that is 1" 5/8 wide,
even a little wider would work, and comes by the foot. With the window frames being chromed you need to use this thiner material so the window will go into the channel.
The guys at this site are very nice, you could call them and ask their advice as well. Do not take these upper channels apart to paint them as they are a
3 part piece, I know because we took one apart thinking it would be easier to paint it...NOT. hope this helps some. cash

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Stan,
thanks for responding on the painted belair window channels.
Chad was asking me, and I have not done a belair hardtop.
Paul

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Im sending these pictures for you to look at.100_1255_2.jpeg
We sandblasted these then sealed them .

100_1256_2.jpeg
Before

100_1376.jpeg
This is what you have when you take the "one" channel apart, 3 pieces.. I would suggest never taking it apart.

100_1378.jpeg

We took and masked the stainless part off then sealed it in Dp black, this way the small black part is painted. Then remasked the chrome part, and the black part, then painted the color. You should decide what color to paint the inside part that faces the headliner, a small section will show below the
headliner painted trim.

100_1379.jpeg

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Appears to be the same color as my original '62 Bubble 409/409 that I had in '67. Great color!!

Lonnie