1962 Belair- Frame/Body Removal

squeekyM

I started taking apart the front end of my Belair today in preparation to separate the body from the frame (see attached pic). Tomorrow I'll pull the engine and transmission. Any recommendations as to a pick-point on the front of the body. For the rear I've heard the trunk latch is a good spot. Overall, any recommendations or tips would be helpful. Thanks, Happy 4th!

Attachments

• 20140704_140645.jpg
    20140704_140645.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 38

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10

I use a cherry picker coming in from the front. Hooking a chain on each frame mount. The chain I use is just long enough so the cherry picker hook is above the firewall. I use a heavy towel to protect the fire wall. When the body is up high enough for the frame to roll out, I slide a wood 4x4 under from side to side. I believe it's 8' long. I then use good concrete blocks stacked on each side to support the 4x4, then set the car down. Make sure the block pillars are far enough apart so the tires clear as the frame is rolled out. On the rear, I use the two small brace/ trunk lid bumpers and doe the same on the rear. The 4x4 goes through the rear wheel openings. I may have used a spacer on top of the 4x4 to keep the 4x4 from contacting the quarter panel, it's been a couple years since the last time I had a body off the frame. If I find a picture I will post it.

squeekyM

Thanks for the reply. Is it OK to remove the body with the front windshield and rear window in place?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We left both front and rear glass in when I lifted my '63 hardtop off of the frame with no problem. Maybe I was just lucky. We lifted a '62 convertible off the same way, but the windshield was removed and door bracing was installed.
The "63 hardtop had fairly solid floors and rockers, so I'm sure that kept any "twist" to a minimum. We also made sure we had the cherry picker hook perfectly centered side to side on the chain and lifted one end at a time. We didn't lift it the entire height at once. Lift one end just high enough to get the 4x4 under and set back down. Go to the opposite end lift up a little further, enough to add a concrete block or two at a time. Back to the other end and raise further and so on until you have it high enough to roll the frame out. Sorry I haven't been able to find a picture yet. It was a few years ago before I had a digital camera.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
SqueekyM, its quite a project huh?. I have some pictures on my build that will give y0u an idea of things. If you get it up on 4 blocks you can roll the frame out from underneath it. Good luck.
:pray
100_1187.JPG

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hey Jim, sounds like you've done this before. My fingers are a little sore from wet sanding today. Its funny how you get one job completed and then, there's the next one to finish. lol
Guess thats what we like, something to do, especially with a buddy. keep up the good work.
:weld

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hey Jim, sounds like you've done this before. My fingers are a little sore from wet sanding today. Its funny how you get one job completed and then, there's the next one to finish. lol
Guess thats what we like, something to do, especially with a buddy. keep up the good work.
:weld

We, meaning myself and my very good friend Mike(62bubble) have done several body off frame restorations over the years. We always have some project or another going all the time. I can't wait till I'm wet sanding my current project, a 63 Impala SS or Mike's 62 bubble top we're constructing. Unfortunately it will probably be another year or so before we get that far on either project. But we do have fun working together no matter what car we're working on! Hope your fingers are feeling better!:beer