1962 Biscayne Power Steering conversion

SamH

Thought I'd post a thread about the power steering conversion I am trying to finish on my 62 Biscayne. It was my father's car, and he started the conversion but passed away before he finished. If is a flaming River Power Steering kit. He had already installed the rack, but that was it.

Had to create an end that would attach to the stock steering column and then the linkages provided by Flaming River

In working through mounting the pump, I have noticed that the bracket for the pump is not for a 409, called Flaming River, and they stated they do not make a bracket for a 409. I have modified the existing bracket to put 2 new holes higher up to allow the bracket to be mounted. Also with where the bracket puts the pump, I had to add a space behind the water pump pulley so the belts all lined up. Current issue is determining best route for hoses as there doesn't seem to be a lot of real estate for the lines.

Attachments

• IMG_5549.jpg
    IMG_5549.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5550.jpg
    IMG_5550.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5551.jpg
    IMG_5551.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5552.jpg
    IMG_5552.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 36

SamH

Looks like you are going to need more belt raped around the power steering pump to get enough contact to make it work.

Is there a rule of thumb on how much you need? That is roughly where the kit had it for a small block. It'd be nice if they had a pic of the belt routing.

Edited to Add: Never mind, saw where you need at least 60 degree worth of contact

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I used a GM type 2 with a remote reservoir but some of them have some attached reservoirs. Works great. Not sure what bracket I used but I'll try to take a pic tomorrow. Might have been the Allstar?

Type 2 pumps

SamH

Modified the bracket that came with the kit to move the tab from the top to the bottom

Attachments

• IMG_5562.jpg
    IMG_5562.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5563.jpg
    IMG_5563.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5564.jpg
    IMG_5564.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5565.jpg
    IMG_5565.jpg