1962 build date

815moto

Im trying to figure out the build date of my car. First off its a 1962 bubbletop. The trim tag says its the build date is 12E. If Im right that translates to the last week of December. I looked at a 1962 calender and Monday was the 31st. SO could I have a 62 that was built in 1963? Or did they stop production on december 31st? The number sequence is kinda high, so I know it probably wasnt built in late 61. J16499x (x for safety reasons)... can anyone help me figure it out.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Production usually ran from September thought July with some exceptions so there is no way a 62 would be built in any December other than 61. You are correct that E was the last week in December. 16499x is not that high if you consider that each plant probabably built around 500 cars a day x 22 work days (avg) per mo=11,000 , maybe more.
What is the body number?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Final assembly was probably in first week of January 62.
With that VIN number, if production began in Sept, that would be approx 738 cars per work day average.
If production began in August, which it sometimes did, that would average around 590 cars per work day which would seem pretty typical.