1962 Chevrolet Impala SS 409 on Hemmings asking $99,900

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Nice!! But a question, the rear cove, trunk and quarters, is it non SS? Maybe just my monitor. Or eyesight.

Reactions: 327

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The early 62 ss cars had plain trunk and cove inserts like a regular impala. If I remember correctly it was 12-16-61 Chevy changed them to the swirl pattern to help distinguish the ss cars from non ss. There is a letter from Chevrolet on this.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I didn't know that. It looks like it was built Nov 5th week, so early build.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Dealer selling it. Beautiful car with lots of recognition. Beyond my means.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Nate is correct September, October and November 1962 SS cars came with satin/Impala rear panels.

some comments on how original the car is.

The bucket seats are bolted on top of the carpet( not factory) - that is not what the factory did - I have pictures from Verne Frantz showing how the factory cut slits in the carpet and folded it around the seat brackets in SS bucket seats

factory 1961 & 1962 Sun Tachs did not have a black adjustment button on the chrome face - dealer video says tach is correct - not true

All 4 front seat and back seat floor pans have been replaced - you can tell since the 4 factory drain holes were not cut out on the new floor pans ( they did transfer the factory seat belt mounts) all factory floor pans had 8 oval drain holes
(6 inside the interior area and 2 in the trunk well) with metal plates screwed with 2 screws to cover the oval holes. All four factory front floor pans had lips on edges of the factory oval holes - the dealer video states that the floor pans are original - not true

They say it’s a California car but it was built in the St. Louis GM plant on the VIN tag and cowl tag - to me a California car came from the Los Angeles GM plant.

The passenger rear antenna is not correctly mounted ( it should be attached to the wheel well in the trunk just as the drivers side antenna is) - factory rear antenna cars had both rear antennas attached to the wheel wells in the trunk

I see the dealer answered a written question on is the 409 motor original to the car, he said it’s not original to the car

It is a very nice car - my point is stating it’s all original restoration should mean all original

Paul