1962 Chevrolet Sport Coupe Z11 409 "Light Weight"

George Klass

Well Known Member
Since the Factory Experimental class entries were not always "assembly line" manufactured, NHRA could not use "shipping weight" or "advertised horsepower" in the formula as they did in the Stock classes. They used the same formula as was used in the Gasser classes...

Over the years, when the FX classes were at their zenith, there were changes and additions added to the class rules. In 1962 when the class was initiated, the class rules were the same as the Stock Classes with some exceptions: "Any engine or options listed by the automobile manufacturer for the model used are accepted only if the engine or options are listed with and accepted by the NHRA Technical Board (superchargers not permitted)."

In 1963, the FX class rules were the same, other than when it came to tires: "Any type tire wheel combination may be used providing they fit in the original wheel-wells." (and mag wheels were now approved for the FX classes).

In 1964, NHRA announced that any flat tappet camshaft and valve train (other than the retention of stock valves) was permitted in the FX classes. The weight to cubic inch formula was changed to:
A/FX - 7.50 to 8.99 lbs. per cubic inch
B/FX - 9.00 to 12.99 lbs per cubic inch
C/FX - 13.00 or more lbs per cubic inch

In 1965, everything from the 1964 F/X rules were the same except for "Axle Relocation". "Axles may be relocated on FX cars a maximum of two (2) percent of the total wheelbase, per original stock location. This applies to either the front or rear axle, or a combination of the two."

By this point in time, the Pontiac, Ford and Mercury automobile divisions had already produced a small number of legal FX cars, at least enough for their big-name drivers. It was still possible, of course, for anyone to purchase a stock Pontiac Tempest (or Mustang or other Ford or Mercury compact), replace the engine and drive train with parts from a full size sedan, and race in the class. In fact, this was the only option for Chevy racers who wished to compete in the FX class, and did not have access to a Z-11 Chevy. The most common car of choice for the Chevy guys was to purchase the cheapest Chevelle, and get ahold of a 409/427 engine. As far as the Mopar crowd, I have no clue what, if anything, they did to come up with an FX car.

Chevelles like these below would have made great FX cars. All had OEM wheelbases, and with a few minor changes (such as blocking off the hood scoops, etc.) could have been NHRA legal for the FX classes, provided they had the approved 409 or 427 factory engines. Many of the cars below probably started off that way, but the racers soon found out that there was a lot more money in match racing than messing around at NHRA National events.
001_7_orig.jpg

005_5_orig.jpg

007_2_orig.jpg

2941412.jpg

3607010.jpg

9254918.jpg

fourhundredpercent_orig.jpg

Last edited:

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm working on a 65. Don't throw rocks at me, but I'm going to try a glide.
Never raced anything with an automatic but willing to learn.
At least I won't blow a clutch.
(not saying that happened before) but only with a SBC
09 must not make enough power to break one.
Bob

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There were somewhere between 18-21 Impala 409/409 cars built right at the end of the 62 production built with aluminum fenders, inner fender liners and hood. None had bumpers like the Z-11's in 63, a few months later. All built in Flint from what I have been able to determine.

The info I have been able to determine is that the drag racers of the day received the parts like I mentioned above. There is no doubt some of these guys received one of the Impalas.
My belief is these cars were built to see how easy or difficult it would be. Once they learned how bad the inner fender liners looked they chose not to include them in the Z-11. Does not make much sense because Pontiac was able to stamp out the proper parts and many racers used the 62 inner fender liners on the 63's. I doubt any NHRA tech inspector checked much of it.
The aluminum thickness is different between the 62 and 63. I will check both of my cars, but I think the 62's are .026 and the 63 Z-11 is .041.
I remember the tops of the 62 fenders would wrinkle after the first or second hard run. Since they were so flimsy is probably why not many survived.

I have a copy of a newspaper ad from Don Steves Chevrolet in 1962 advertising 2 of the aluminum front end Impalas. I will find it and post. Others I'm sure have the same ad and Dan post. I spoke to Don Steves son a couple of years ago and he said they had a direct pipeline with Chevy. He said he remembers as a kid engines and cars would just show up! He said his dad was invoked in lots of racing, primarily Corvettes.

Hope this helps.
Weren't those production cars fitted with heavier gauge aluminum? Lke the Zintsmaster car?
Bob