1962 Convertible in paint

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Getting to the home stretch, at least in terms of coatings. Still a long way to go with drive train, interior, wiring, etc.

Russ has been looking over my project as I've not been able to travel as of late (hip deal, scheduled for replacement). Rodney Inman in Springfield MO who does Russ' projects has been toiling on my once crusty convertible for the past year in between other projects (most of which are "lightweight" and Z-11 race cars). So she's been in good company :). Thought I'd share a few pics:

62 Convertible right quarter in primer.jpg

1962 Convertible Red Oxide primer2.jpg
Getting some color:
1962 Convertible firewall in Twilight Blue.jpg

She was Twilight Blue over Aqua from the factory with White convertible top.

Hard to see but I used Paul's wooden stencil to map out the enlarged hole for the factory AC system I plan to install (thanks to Gordie for parting with the complete AC unit!).

This build is a tribute to my Father who passed away 16 years ago. When I was 12 he purchased a one year old 1962 Impala convertible. In 1967 my older brother took over ownership and together we painted her Blue Metalflake (remember those days?)/ This is a throw back to that era. Lots of memories with Dad trailering his lake boat with the Chevy convertible for short evening cruises on Lake Erie back in the 60s :) :) :).

Enjoy! TomK