1962 Impala SS side trim tape

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Paul asked me to chime in with my experience installing the SS inserts. I installed my aluminum SS inserts with the U Line tape that Paul and Dave Kosman recommended.It was about $70. The problem with using that tape was that it is only 2 mil (.002) thick. About the thickness of Saran Wrap. All of the Impala aluminum side trim pieces are slightly concave in the center. Not a completely flat surface. The SS inserts would mostly adhere at the outer edges only when using the .002 tape. The center was not making contact. I ended up putting about 4 or 5 layers of the 2 mil tape onto the inserts in order to get enough cushion to fill in the concave portion of the molding. The trim appears to be anchored securely, but was a real pain in the axx. I called the guy in Iowa that sells the SS inserts about the proper tape and he highly recommends only using the cushioned foam 3M tape that Paul referenced. The problem with that is is only available in big rolls at about $250. If I ever do another set of SS trim, I would just mask off the trim and glue the inserts with 3M spray adhesive. BTW, my Impala side moldings were off the car when I was installing the inserts, so spray glue would have been easy.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Leo, I don't think the spray adhesive would work either eventually it would come loose. The foam tape would be the best application and second would be a good adhesive calk. JMO...:D

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Dan, do you have any idea of what type of adhesive the GM vendors used to fasten the SS inserts? They appear to be glued on.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan, do you have any idea of what type of adhesive the GM vendors used to fasten the SS inserts? They appear to be glued on.
I don't know what GM used but it does look like contact cement. The experience I have had with spray adhesive is it has eventually failed in every application. As I said before I think the foam tape would be my first choice but believe you could use contact cement either brushed or rolled on.

56_Kruiser

I've made contact with the seller on eBay, and if I provide the measurements, they will make some for me for my '61.

Paul...the link you posted has an error of some type...it leads to an error page. I'm definitely interested in reading suggestions for installation. I can see it being problematic to get it on straight and bubble free.

56_Kruiser

I presume that question was directed to me.

I will be getting the stick-on, in particular because I'm putting it on a '61. The SS Trim would be for a '62.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The 3M foam tape link is this one:
http://www.uline.com/BL_6041/3M-4920-VHB-Acrylic-Foam-Tape

This tape recommendation is from the company in owner in Des Moines Iowa who makes all the swirl metal inserts, the swirl SS trunk panels, the swirl side chrome metal inserts and the swirl dash panels for 62,63 and 64 Chevys. He has been making these products for at least 15 years. Every company selling these products gets them from him. He used to recommend gluing the metal SS inserts, I talked to him about this years ago.

This page has Leo's comments on installation from his experience.

I have glued a set of 62 SS metal inserts. Its very messy to do and you need large paper/regular clamps and strips of wood like the pictures to hold the trim in place. I put glue on the metal strips and the chrome itself.62 SS chrome 003.jpg 62 SS chrome 004.jpg
I had to use 3M adhesive cleaner to clean up the 3M glue that squezzed out from under the metal strips. I think I actually damaged(discolored slightly) some of my restored anodized trim a little with the cleanup.