1962 Impala - Tremec Shifter Boot - Suggestions?

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
My 62 impala has a tremec 5 speed and HURST shifter, and a hole in the carpet where the previous shifter used to be. The boot doesn't do the best job of covering things up. Any suggestions for something that even resembles original?
16350438805956151639698647999008.jpg16350439104785367269245733581682.jpg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
What Tremec 5 speed do you have ?
  • The TKO 5 speed and the Magnum 5 speed have tall shifters and the shifters tend to mount in the center of the transmission.
  • This is compared to the factory 4 speed shifter location for Borg Warner and Muncie 4 speed with the stock or Hurst shifters that mount on the side of the transmissions -the factory shifter location is 17.5 inches from the bell housing face.
  • I researched 5 speeds starting 5 years ago(before installing 2 5 speed Richmonds), that do not require tunnel modifications and mount the shifter close to the factory shifter location. I did have curved transmission mounts made to use the factory frame mounts vs modifying the factory rear transmission frame mounts
  • All factory 4 speeds 61-63 came with factory tunnel covers for the boot or the SS shift plate -do you have one on your 62?
I currently have 2- Richmond 5 speeds in my 62 409 cars. Both use the factory 4 speed tunnel cover and did not require tunnel modifications.
  • The Hurst 5 speed shifters I have mount within 2 inches of the factory shifter location (in neutral )
  • FACTORY SHIFTER LOCATION IS -17.5 inches to center line of shifter on factory 61-63 4 speed cars.
  • The Richmond 5 speeds are the same transmission overall length as Borg Warner and Muncie 4 speeds
These boots were used on bench seat and SS cars in 1962 and the round boot in 61 and 63 bench seat cars -both need round handles. they were also used with 4 speed tunnel covers on all 61-63 factory 4 speed cars- see link below
I have this Hurst boot link shown below on my Richmond 5 speeds with Hurst 5 speed shifters for the Richmond and to fit my 1962 SS shift plates.
  • This boot is tall enough to clear the 2 shifter handle mount/mounting bolts.
  • It is also an old school style Hurst boot used in the 60s.
  • This boot does need in my opinion the factory 4 speed tunnel cover to allow the shift plate to sit correctly on the factory tunnel with the factory 4 speed tunnel cover and for the boot to mount correctly.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/301565902905

I do not think the tall shifters used on Tremec 5 speeds and Richmond 5 speeds (both types) will allow any other boot to be used.

I may change my mind with the new now available TKX 5 speed that I just purchased -no tunnel modifications because of the case size -close to BW/Muncie 4 speed transmissions, 5 speed shifter location for the TKX (with a different offset shifter using the variable TKX center mount) on the side of the transmission and within 1/2 inch of factory 4 speed shifter location

Paul

IMG_0680.jpgIMG_0146.jpg