1962 light weight race car

cranesperformance

Supporting Member 2
Hi guys, anyone know how many light weight cars were made in 62, I came across a aluminum dash from a 62, I was not aware of the dash being aluminum, any help wood be great, I can down load pic's if needed. it only weights 5 1/2 pounds. Call 352-216-2273
Dave

Attachments

• 62 aluminum dash 0.jpg
    62 aluminum dash 0.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 264
  • 62 aluminum dash 11.jpg
    62 aluminum dash 11.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 255
  • 62 aluminum dash.jpg
    62 aluminum dash.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I thought that portion was always aluminum. I know if you leave the radio rear brace loose it will easily crack near the radio. The portion the dash attaches to is steel.

cranesperformance

Supporting Member 2
yes, I was told they were pot metal, the guy I bought this from, had a original one which was more then twice as heavy, I have a friend pulling his apart, then he will weigh it to compare it. Thanks for your input.
Dave

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have one that's aluminum also... Can't remember if it's the one that was in my car or one I picked up along the way for parts... I'll have to check when I get over to my brothers where I keep all my crap... I remember it was a lot lighter than the others....
Rick

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've heard of these aluminum dashes before and there seems to be a pretty fair number of them floating around out there. I would almost surmise that there were at least two different dash suppliers to supply the several assembly plants that were building these cars. It would be a similar situation to the different frame suppliers where some plants used the C-channel frame and other plants used the boxed tubing frame. Some people like to call these frames the "NASCAR" boxed frame but I simply call it the "impossible-to-remove-the-mice-nests" frame.

Sure sounds like a reasonable explanation.
I had always heard that "pot metal" was usually made up with whatever the casting place thought was best. I gather that the formula would often vary depending on what scraps they had laying around. I guess it all just got thrown into the "pot"
It could be that the foundry casting those aluminum dashes had lots of aluminum. :dunno
I know that Zinc is often the main ingredient in pot metal, and zinc is pretty heavy, almost as heavy as cast iron, so it's no wonder the regular dashes are heavy.
Regardless of why they were built, having one of those aluminum dashes would be a nice way to loose a few pounds on a race car.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've heard of these aluminum dashes before and there seems to be a pretty fair number of them floating around out there. I would almost surmise that there were at least two different dash suppliers to supply the several assembly plants that were building these cars. It would be a similar situation to the different frame suppliers where some plants used the C-channel frame and other plants used the boxed tubing frame. Some people like to call these frames the "NASCAR" boxed frame but I simply call it the "impossible-to-remove-the-mice-nests" frame.
That would make sense...I don't think I could be lucky enough to have something from a lightweight '62..:eek

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That would make sense...I don't think I could be lucky enough to have something from a lightweight '62..:eek
:yup I'm going to start keeping my eye out for one even though I don't think it's that rare.....still a good way to loose another 5 pounds or so maybe.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:yup I'm going to start keeping my eye out for one even though I don't think it's that rare.....still a good way to loose another 5 pounds or so maybe.

You could also make one out of glass, use the cast original as the plug, take a mold and pop out as many as you want:think

Richard Martin

Well Known Member
You would think that if these were being made for the H.P cars. They would have made them with no radio and heater provisions.

The 1962 model year was the first year Chevrolets came standard with the deluxe heater/defroster. The original window sticker of the famous factory built Zintsmaster 1962 Impala SS light weight survivor shows the car was ordered with the RPO 610 heater delete option which included a $ 72.00 reduction of the total retail price. Radios were still an extra cost option so no radio delete was necessary.

Richard

Last edited: