1962 posi rear end swap

rconnors

Hi.....I am not a mechanic but I will explain this to the best of my ability...have had a 62 impala for 24 years and have driven it 96000 miles. Last week my rear end let go an drove a hole the size of a dime thru the front end of the pumpkin and the car would not move..car has a open diff with a ratio of 3.36 I think. So.......here in Nova Scotia Canada I found a 63 impala with a posi rear end and took it out today....its a posi as it has the big P on the front drivers side....however Canadian models have numbers stamped on the front passenger side not letters like American cars. In the U.S. a 283 powerglide 2 barrel which is what this donar car is would have either a 3.08, 3.36 or a 3.55 posi.....this car has numbers stamped instead of letters. Anyhow we will figure out the ratio. In swapping out this rear end my question is....Should I install the whole posi unit pumpkin and axles in my car as I took them out of the donar car? Or can I unbolt the front center section cover and install that in my original open diff case and will it fit. To get the front cover off I need to heat and maybe drill out the bolts as they are rusted bad. I have talked to Aubrey at Bruneau Performance and have bearing caps and a control arm bracket ordered. My car is running a ZZ4 355 hp GM crate engine with a 350 turbo trans. Any advice would be appreciated.....all the best.

rconnors

As an add on the P case I pulled out is Probably from a Canadian car two sets of numbers next to the P....8788812 below that is KP882 anyone decode this? Maybe Nov built posi and Aug 62 build on cast housing? Thanks

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I would replace all I could. If it broke and put a hole in the case, Thats a pretty good hit. I would be leary of the parts untill I did a good inspection. Besides the parts are 45 years old. I would say it would be a good time for a complete rebuild. Replacement axles from moser are probably around $250. Plus a $125 for a rebuild kit that has all the bearings and seals. New gears in any ratio you want, $200. And some labor. You will be good for about another 45 years. Thats a good investment if you ask me. Not to mention the comfort of knowing that is rebuilt and not having to worry about it.
One other thing. Not sure on those rears. But on my 12 bolt, Instead of using a crush sleeve they sell a solid spacer. To use it just drop it in place of the crush sleeve and install shims to get the preload you need. i really liked it.

rconnors

Well we swapped out the center section and replaced it with the posi....one note to make and maybe it was just us but after we bolted in the posi we slipped in the drivers side axle and bolted up the backing plates then we slipped in the passenger side axle and the spline would not seat all the way in...try as we might by turning the axle and gently trying to drive it in it would not seat....solution.....we bolted a plate on the drivers side axle and locked it so it would not turn....then used a pry bar to turn the passenger side axle just a bit I assume to move the clutches so the axle would seat in. We tryed to seat the axle before doing this for a half hour with no luck...when we did this it slipped right in place....I have had no experience with this before but this trick worked well with the posi unit....anyone have this dificulty before? Thanks DZ for your useful info I appreciate it. rconnors

HAH!... Exactly, RC:clap ... see, I told you that you could do it !:deal

Been in Manitoba for the past few days, with my two little monsters, visiting family for the long weekend. Be back Tuesday.