1963 340-409 dip stick location

Brian Smith

I have purchased a 1963 340/409 Impala SS. All the casting numbers are correct but the dip stick is located on the drivers side rather then the passenger side. I was told that because the car came with factory Air Conditioner, the dip stick is on the driver's side. All information states that the dip stick on 409's were on teh passenger side. Can anyone help me out to clarify. Thanks

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Sorry...sounds like bad news. 348s had the dipstick on driver's side. And the 409 crank has clearance issues with 348 pan. You really need the casting number on the back of the block to be certain.
Good luck.

The dipstick for AC on LH side is a new one for me!!!!!

Brian Smith

Block casting # is 3830814. X is marked on front drivers side. It is a 409 but I heard do not rely on dip stick location as they can switch side.

Brian Smith

Also. Intake Manifolds shows # 3830831. this also reflects it as a 1963-409. I have the original dip stick which is etched as a 409. Just want to confirm that it can by moved. The site states it can be. Just want to make sure.

Brian Smith

Thank you. Thats what I thought as well. I think there is too much emphasis on the location of the dip stick and what really should matter is the codes on the block. Thanks again.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
409 pan held 6 quarts to full on the dip stick if I remember right. 348 pan would show full at only 4 quarts. Does the drain plug face down(truck) or forward(passenger)?

Brian Smith

Thanks. I will have to double check as I have just purchsed the car and still need to pick it up. All I wanted to confirm is it is a real 409 which all the numbers state it is. I will check it out when I pick it up.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi Brian,and welcome to the club.I think the point that BSL409 is trying to make is that these numbers and symbols are cast into the belhousing area at the rear of the block.They can be a little hard to see once the engine is installed in the car,but if they have been milled off and replaced with stamped numbers,then there's something going on,usually not good.The QG stamping,and the 0831 intake are listed as a 63 340 horse 409.

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Don....trucks pans are RH dipstick also.
Doesn't make sense to have 348 pan on a 409. When you get the car.....check the front have of the sump on the pan for all kinds of dents and dings. A 348 pan will not bolt up with a 409 crank. The front counterweight hits the inside of the pan.

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Just to clarify, a 348 TRUCK pan does clear the 409 crank. It is the same pan used on truck 409s. I believe a car 348 pan can be "massaged" to clear a 409 crank

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Perhaps the 409 pan was damaged at some point and the only replacement they could find was a 348 pan??

Brian Smith

Looks authentic. The stamping has same consistency and size as the Block casting numbers on the drivers side. Just want to know if the "340" is a common stamp on the block