1963 409 QB

wallygator

Im new to this site and could use a little advice(opinions) on the value of a engine I have.
It is a 1963 409/425hp it is complete from air cleaner to pan-fan blade to bell housing.
I have had this engine for 15+years and am thinking of selling it and would like a honest opinion of its value. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,Wally

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
15 years ago I sold my '63 409/425hp QB engine for $5,000.00. This was a running motor with everything to rebuild it in N.O.S.gm wrappers.:deal

:crazy:cheers

409envy

Well Known Member
I would say if its numbers matching and in original condition then $9-15k easy.
I am not an expert but that is just what I have seen similar engines go for on ebay. Also what it is worth and what it will sell for are two completely different things. If you find the right buyer then you will probably get close to market value for it. Someone restoring a 63 numbers matching QB car would definitely pay.

GLWS

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Some one restoring a 1963 Chevy would be most interested in paying the premium for this particular engine. One problem lies in describing condition. Any engine sitting around for a long period of time will likely need to be dismantled and inspected, and that takes time, talent and probably some new parts (bearings, rings, gaskets at a minimum). Not many will pay that premium for an engine of unknown status. Yes, the QB suffix code and all the correct parts (block, heads, intake, carbs, breather, etc.) will dictate value. I'd say more like $6K to $8K depending on what you know about the engine. More than that would require a freshly rebuilt engine with all the correct components. Just my opinion.

Good luck!
TomK

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I can't be "numbers matching" unless the VIN derivative that belongs to the car is stamped on the pad. All high performance 409's and all Corvette engines should be stamped in 63.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
$5,000 seems like the going price in Chicago. Slightly higher if the numbers are exactly what you are looking for.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
As Cecil says it can't be"numbers matching" unless you have the car it came from the factory in (look around like Bob Walla did and maybe you'll have his luck!). Now, all the date codes for the appropriate parts may be close enough to say the engine has all it's original parts.

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I can't be "numbers matching" unless the VIN derivative that belongs to the car is stamped on the pad. All high performance 409's and all Corvette engines should be stamped in 63.

Cecil, all should have been stamped, but not all were. My 64SS QB engine came without a vin stamp. November manufacture, Doraville, Ga.

Poocho

Attachments

• FrontEngine1.jpg
    FrontEngine1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil, all should have been stamped, but not all were. My 64SS QB engine came without a vin stamp. November manufacture, Doraville, Ga.

Poocho
Mistakes were made. Any chance that the engine was replaced on warranty?

From page 11 of TSB DR # 615 To All Chevrolet Dealers Dated September 16, 1963:

64 Engine Stamping_417x480.jpg

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
My Janesville 64 vin is stamped. In the late 60's I bought a 64 340 hp that only had the Tonawanda stamp, no vin. I always wondered if this one could have come from Canada.:dunno

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
As I recall the 340 hp wasn't VIN stamped.
My 340 in my car is VIN stamped:dunno

The 340 engine bought from a "for sale" add years later wasn't. It did not have the closed positive crankcase ventilation system either.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for the info Ron. Looks like the VIN stamp policy was randomly enforced. sI have the TSB for 63 also which states that all high performance 409's and all Corvette engines got the VIN stamp. Probably depends on how they defined "high performance". Normally, that would be all optional or non-base engines in that line.
As for the lack of a closed PCV system, I have a TSB which for some customers complaint situations, modifys the system back to the road draft tube which might explain that one. I can post it if anybody is interested.

wallygator

Thanks for the imput and info. This engine is vin stamped,when number match was mentioned I thought the same it is to the vin tag on the car. What this engine is though is a complete date match , all casting dates are of the same time of year