1963 chevrolet frontend overhaul

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
Ok i started months ago on the overhaul and finaly got both sides assembled. Ok question is i took orignal frontend and before i broke everything down took measurements since its still the factory alignment since the car was never aligned after being bought or changed up. ok i put the tie rods on each side to the exact measurement as the old was. i hooked them up. passenger side the front of the drum is toe in about 4 to 5 degs. driver side which i just hooked up recently is toe out bout the same or more. now is it possible the gear box isnt centered or what should i check. before i hooked up the driverside drum. i had 2 full turns and just short of half a turn from center to either full left or full right. now with the drum installed its 2.4 turns to the right from center. but only 1.2 turns to the left from center. i could use some information on what to check before i go bout messing with the tierods when the weather clear up.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
ok i just checked and i now know im going to have to re align the frontend. ok im going with 670x15 biasply corvette tires.(1963 corvette tires) on the front want to know what would be a good toe in/out would be a good starting point between the 1/32-3/32 toe in toe out per wheel.

I also want to know with the alignment tool how would i go bout aligning the frontend. just want to be sure the way im thinking is fully right or not.

bobs409

Administrator
I don't know how many here would be able to answer those questions. As for alignments, it's best just to take it somewhere that has the equipment to do it right.

If you really want to attempt this and have the tools to do it, I believe the shop manuals have some specs listed.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Front End Align

I've been doing Front End work for over 30 years so I can help you out.First off you need to correct your turning radius.If you have 2.4 turns one way and 1.2 the other way you have something bent or installed wrong.Try this turn your steering so the pitman arm is pointing straight ahead.and adjust each tie rod till the tire is pointing straight ahead you should have 1/16 to 1/8 inch total toe.camber should be +1/2 to 0 deg,caster should 1/2 more pos on the right side

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
its centered right now. just wasnt sure if something else could cause it. cause both wheels when i put the driverside wheel straight the passenger side was also. but i guess what im going to do is get the alignment tool they got at harbor freight and im going to set both wheels to 2/32 each. that way im between the factory curb specs of 1/32-3/32

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
These tools are fine to get your toe in the ballpark,but to get a toe setting it should be taken to a alignment shop.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
well i replaced everything and repainted everything knowing them will get scratches and mess everything up. so i just want to get it as close as i can to where it wears decent enough. not going to be driving the car that much anyways.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
Im thinking 2/32 toe in per wheel would be a good starting point. that way only got so much to go since im halfways between the toe in specs

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
ok earlier today i took and put the driverside tierod to the same lenght as the passengerside ( 20") hooked it up and now i got 4.5 turns from center to full left and 4.5 turns from center to full right. so its centered. and both are toed in about 2/32

Gus68

Well Known Member
Alignment

Hey guys!!! I work at a dealership and have done alignments, now don't get me wrong, Im not an expert and I'm not saying your not competent (I cant even spell). I think after you get the front end as close as you can you should still take it to an alignment shop and have it done. If you dont trust them find a shop somewere that is "cool" and likes old cars and hot rods or get in good with someone at a shop and see if they would let you help or atleast watch. Even if you don't drive it every day it would make a world of difference. I have a chevelle that I drag race frome time to time, I drove it and raced it for many years with the old stock front suspension stuff, then I went through the front end and had it aligned (thats all i did to it) then went back to the track and picked up 2 tenths!!!! The only difference was the front stuff and an alignment!!! It makes a HUGE difference.
Just my 2 cents.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Put those "1963 corvette tires" on the "409 rims" and take it to the alignment shop as Gus and others said !!!

You may get it close but never correct on your own,,,dq

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The way I have always done it is to use a measureing tape and set the toe in about a 1/4 inch, rpom center to center of the tires. Then drive it to the line-up shop and have them set the caster and camber,,,,,

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
well its already seat. 2/32 toe in per wheel. both tie rods are 20 inches from end to end, idler arm and pitman arm are straight back. so everythings in line like it should be. and if it just happens to wear too much then i will take it and have it aligned by a shop but im not going to take it there just to let my 11 months of frontend overhaul work in restration be shot to **** cause they scratch things up. or dent things.

M

MK IISS

you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd
wack-a-do, wack-a-do, wack-a-do

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Front end.

If you have a nice car, and if it is a reliable shop, they will take care of it as if it was their own. What's the set of tires going to cost you? Sounds like being pound wise and penny foolish to me. Ask some others in your area that have nice cars, or restored cars, where they take theirs. And do it.

Fred

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
well thats kinda hard cause all the people i know down here swaped rack and pinion steering into their car. plus i called around and the shops that was recommended by some speed shops down here and they told me " up date that old **** cause no one deals with that crap anymore" so i guess ill just keep it like it is.

Tire are going to be 670-15 corvette tires on front on 15x5 cragar ss rims, and 1000x15 radir M/T slicks on 15x10 chrome revesal rims out back. but first i have to find some spring lifts like it has on the back cause the front when i set it down yesterday sits 3 inches lower than the back and thats with stock dia tires on it. wouldnt look good with 2 inch taller tires out back than stock raising it up to 5 inches lower up front than back.

total would be around 1,140 including tires and rims. 500 for the repo slicks 224 for the front tires last time i checked, and 115 a piece for mag rims, and 98 for the revesals.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sorry belair ,,, but i think you are foolish.

You don`t want a qualified alignment person to set your front end correctly because of paint?
But your willing to ruin a set of tires instead?
Once your tires set a wear pattern thats the way they will wear til they are gone.

AND you are running a mixed set of bias ply with radial slicks?

You`re asking for big trouble !!

Your car your problems.

Why ask if you can`t listen,,,dq :dunno

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
63BA, I've got some old "twist in" spring spacers I could make you a heckuva deal on!! :brow Does Air-Lift still make an air bag for the 58-64 Chevy rear springs?
Ross

bobs409

Administrator
I can't believe there are no alignment shops in your area that won't work on a 63 Chevy. I wouldn't let anyone that tells me to "update that crap" touch my car. You must be looking in all the wrong places.

Find a shop that's been in business for a long time, not the chain type like Monroe and other crap. :p Have you looked in the yellow pages? Avoid places that have nothing but "kids" working for them, they most likely know nothing except ricers and could care less about your car. lol

As for damaging paint, tell them upfront to be careful and insist that you be able to stay with the car and wait for it. I've seen what some mechanics will do to a car on a test drive, it won't happen to any of my cars! If they test drive it, go with them. Any good alignment shop shouldn't mind if you wait for it. It's a good idea to be seated in the car when they set the specs anyway. This adds the appropriate weight for a more precise alignment. (your in it when it's driving, you should be in it when it's being set) Only a well seasoned alignment shop would even know that I'm guessing. :p