1963 Impala Hood Needed

ehernan3

Well Known Member
Hello all,
I'm in need of a hood for my 63 Impala SS. I'm considering reproductions, but I also wish to avoid having to massage the hood in anyway to make it fit properly. I say this, because I'm aware that when folks purchase, say, reproduction quarter panels, massaging is needed to get them to fit.

I've seen photos of nicely restored 63s, except for the front trim on the hood that doesn't line up with the trim on the fender. I've been wondering why those owners didn't bother to line them up on what is otherwise a nice vehicle. Then it occurred to me that it's possible the hood was a reproduction, and the dimensions are off, and they just didn't bother massaging it. This is what I'm trying to avoid.

Does anyone have recommendations, either original or reproduction sources? Or, just as useful, sources to avoid?

Thanks!

Reactions: 327

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
three friends have installed full reproduction 1962 rear 1/4 panels and in all cases the fit was very good to excellent.
One stated that reproduction 62 front fenders did not fit and were cut up to repair original fenders this year on his 62 Impala SS convertible.
I have not asked about repro hoods.

DaveN

Well Known Member
I don't know if CARS still has sheet metal my 63 hood fit perfect had to drill the holes for the emblem 0 alignment issues.

Reactions: 327

Fine40962

I bought the first 1962 Impala hood imported into the United States a few years back. Compared to the original hood which had a few pinholes in it, the imported hood was actually a little heavier and fit perfectly. As far as construction, it is an exact replica of the original. I would have no qualms using another one.

ehernan3

Well Known Member
Thanks for all the feedback, guys.
* @DaveN I went to CarsInc, and I think I found the imported '63 hood, but no picture. Good to know you had good experience with them.
* I also see the $2500 Aluminum hood, @63 dream'n . Man, that's tempting, but I can think of so many other effective uses for $2500. Still...
* @Fine40962 , do you remember who you bought your hood from? CarsInc? YearOne?
I bought my 62 hood from classic chevrolet and it bolted right on and needed minimal fitting...
@59K9 , can you tell me what you mean by 'minimal fitting'? Also, webite for those guys, please? Searching for 'Classic Chevrolet' returns a lot of dealerships...

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I bought a hood for my '62 Impala from H &H but picked it up from a Dynacorn warehouse near Pittsburgh which was about a 4 hour drive. The hood was about $600 and the shipping would have been about the same. The body man said the hood fit very well as received and it wasn't damaged during the shipping process, which with my luck, it would have been,. I also saved at least $400.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I know next year we're putting a new aftermarket hood and front chrome on our '63. Some guy at a car show found out about us doing that and offered $800 on the spot for it, I was kind of shocked that he would offer that much for a used rust free hood.