1963 Impala Power Steering

Peter Birmingham

Well Known Member
My friend has a 63 Impala that he just installed a 605 steering box on. He said it works good except after he makes a turn and returns to the center position it tends to want to pull side to side. He said it seems like when he goes from side to center to side the steering wheel jerks. Any ideas on what could could cause this?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
According to some of the articles I have read on 605 box they are used gears and have had steering issues.they did say to go to a different box. . I have a Delphi 600 on mine and steer" s very nice and is quite.On my system of course they recommend more caster which mean"s different upper a arm"s to gain more positive caster which I did.

Last edited:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Make sure the 605 output shaft is in its own center exactly. May have to file out the notch on the pitman arm or the shaft to re-attach. Adjust the tie rods for the new center.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My friend has a 63 Impala that he just installed a 605 steering box on. He said it works good except after he makes a turn and returns to the center position it tends to want to pull side to side. He said it seems like when he goes from side to center to side the steering wheel jerks. Any ideas on what could could cause this?
We installed a 605 box on a '62 Impala with no problem at all, works great.. It almost sounds like your box is adjusted too tight.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I never did understand the reason behind changing the Steering on these old great cars of ours.

I always thought my cars steered great.

What are the advantages to it?
Well when you go to radial's and a lot wider tire it will steer harder is the reason i added power steering.Other wise if i would have stayed with skinny bais belt i would have left manual steering.
Did he have the alignment reset????? A alignment shop can center gear box on high point and adjust toe accordingly. On 600 delphi box as mine you have to reposition idler arm to be in line with gear box by drilling one hole to relocate idler arm angle. I don' know if 605 require's that .

Last edited:

62BillT

Well Known Member
Well when you go to radial's and a lot wider tire it will steer harder is the reason i added power steering.Other wise if i would have stayed with skinny bais belt i would have left manual steering.

Yeah, I haven't experienced wide radials before, but I do have 235/75R/15's on the front of my '72 C-10 with Manual Steering and it steers just fine. Also had 7.50 -16's on my C-30 and 9.00-20's on my GMC 4000 all with Manual.

Am I just real used to it, lol ??

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Year"s ago I put 8inch rally wheel"s on a 1966 chevy pickup ,still got it, and Goodyear wrangler radial"s . I could not turn wheel"s until I started backing out of the garage.Did not take me long to install power steering. Do you have big arm"s LOL