1963 mystery Motor, Junior Johnson

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Yes but from what I heard the Ford guys were the worst.I know that they were when in 64 Chrysler unleashed the Hemi .:blah

Very true Don as I remember; but the reverse happened when Holman and Moody started prepping the Ford mystery SOHC engine that was banned before officially in a NASCAR sanctioned event. Yes, 1964 was the year Chrysler got pissed off and gave us two memorable engines, 426 wedge Stage III two four then later in the year the legendary two four hemi. Aah the good ole days!
I was in Holman and Moody during that time and recall seeing racks of SOHC engines ready to be prepared. Unfortunately have no photos only fading memory.
Robert

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The Max Wedge stage III was available in 63.Ihad a friend who had one that I raced and tuned on when in high school as a Pure Stocker.As to engines,Ford was trying to get a very large 482 incher past Nascar well before they came out with the SOHC.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Very true Don as I remember; but the reverse happened when Holman and Moody started prepping the Ford mystery SOHC engine that was banned before officially in a NASCAR sanctioned event. Yes, 1964 was the year Chrysler got pissed off and gave us two memorable engines, 426 wedge Stage III two four then later in the year the legendary two four hemi. Aah the good ole days!
I was in Holman and Moody during that time and recall seeing racks of SOHC engines ready to be prepared. Unfortunately have no photos only fading memory.
Robert
Speedway Speedy Bill museum has one of those SOHC engines on display

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Speedway Speedy Bill museum has one of those SOHC engines on display

A few years ago at the annual performance event in Henderson NC I was there with Tommy Nolen and his 61 Starliner as that was the feature car. While helping prep his car I heard serious thrashing entering the show lot. It was a red 61 Starliner like his but it vibrated the place. I went and looked while the owner was prepping and damn a two four SOHC under a stock hood! The car was fabricated by a Georgia NASCAR shop so the engine fitted under the stock hood. Very impressed with workmanship
Robert

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The Max Wedge stage III was available in 63.Ihad a friend who had one that I raced and tuned on when in high school as a Pure Stocker.As to engines,Ford was trying to get a very large 482 incher past Nascar well before they came out with the SOHC.

Don, was the 482 based on the 427 side oiler?

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Robert

Robert, when was the first SOHC engine used, for some reason I always thought it was in 63'. this would be great if it was clarified.
cheers

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The 482 stuff was in around 62 and the side oiler stuff didn't show up until much later like mid 65 so I'd doubt it.427 John will have a much better idea than Ic do.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Robert, when was the first SOHC engine used, for some reason I always thought it was in 63'. this would be great if it was clarified.
cheers
I don’t know exact release dates nor how they were distributed but since those were low production numbers similar to the first mystery motors I suspect they were “issued” to the chosen few who could give them the most positive publicity
Robert