1963 Trim Tag - Help Deciphering?

Biscayne409

HI all. I have a line on a '63 Impala, purported to be a 409/425 SS car. Here's the trim tag. Can someone help decipher the codes?

Thanks!!

Impala Tag.jpg

Reactions: 327

bobs409

Administrator
If it's supposed to be the original engine, compare the VIN tag with the stamping on the block. Will match if original to the car.

Biscayne409

Thx guys.

Engine has been decked, so VIN check is not possible. It shows a 409 now. Will be looking at alternator, starter, carbs, etc to try and confirm engine’s originality.

Can someone help with the option codes as shown on trim tag?

Thx again.

bobs409

Administrator
Thx guys.

Engine has been decked, so VIN check is not possible. It shows a 409 now. Will be looking at alternator, starter, carbs, etc to try and confirm engine’s originality.

Thx again.
I listed the 3 options above. Not sure on the C.

Without a VIN stamp, the best you can do is check the build dates on all the parts compared to the cars build date. Naturally the engine parts need to pre-date the car by a little. (varies)

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thx guys.

Thx again.
Can you post pic of engine compartment? Sometimes there's visible clues

Biscayne409

Will do on engine compartment pic(s). Car is a couple thousand miles from me but should be able to get a couple pics ahead of me actually seeing the car.
One more question - would power brakes, power steering, radio, etc not show as option codes on the trim tag?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Will do on engine compartment pic(s). Car is a couple thousand miles from me but should be able to get a couple pics ahead of me actually seeing the car.
One more question - would power brakes, power steering, radio, etc not show as option codes on the trim tag?
Especially the radiator/fan shroud. Dead giveaway if you're buying thinking it's a original 409 car

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Send the tag picture to Carl Snelling he decodes tags and VIN pictures -Carl started this forum item
Here is a post on tags he has been commenting on for the forum.

See his comments on not posting lists of all the ACC code (one Page 1 of the above link) to stop clones being done

The ACC codes are not the same at the various GM plants were the cars were built -some are the same but not all ...Carl has said this a number off times
Not all options are shown on Cowl tags for 61 to 64

There are very specific items on all 409 cars, like fan shroud, pulleys brackets, wiring, interior items
carbs, intake, exhaust manifold part numbers -engine block codes and date of the back of the engine block
Paul

Biscayne409

Been a while so I forget-where can I find the car’s build date and assy date? I know B is for Baltimore but not familiar with other plant codes

Thanks.

Biscayne409

Thanks, 64ss409. I had forgotten how to decipher the build date coding

Our 1962 - the car belongs to someone else, therefore, I don’t think I can show VIN to public. Why do you ask? Perhaps I can address your question/concern another way?

Biscayne409

Jacked rear wheels off ground today and counted driveshaft turns per wheel turn. Looks like car has 4:11 gears. Looks like a new pumpkin. Didn’t I read that GM only put 3:36 gears in these cars? Was a 4:11 gear ratio an option?

Biscayne409

Thanks so much! What I find interesting is that if the 4.11 gear set is an option, why isn’t the G80 option (4.11) listed on the trim tag?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Thanks so much! What I find interesting is that if the 4.11 gear set is an option, why isn’t the G80 option (4.11) listed on the trim tag?
The reason is as I stated above that “not all the accessories” are listed on the cowl tag.

GM did not list everything and all GM build plants did “Not“ list ACC items with the same codes
In fact, I have never seen Carl Snelling say that any rear end ratio has ever been listed on the cowl tag - he has hundreds of cowl tags in his private files. Please read his cowl tag forum item I linked above…

post the tags ( with the 1st 5 numbers and one letter of the VIN ) “to Carl Snelling forum item” ( or send him a message) and he will decode the tags for you ( as I mentioned above).

the first 5 numbers and letter of the VIN are needed to verify the model number and GM build plant plus check that the tags match (without revealing the entire VIN). Carl keeps the tags privately ( if you don’t want pictures of the tags posted) - to verify cars for individuals

Paul