1964 409 2nd designe camshaft #3837735

xlch1965

Hi. I own a 1964 Chevrolet SS (2Q) vert that came from the factory as an 409 2nd designe. I want to restore the car back to factory spec. So where can I get a GM nos or good stock used camshaft #3837735 for the 1964 2nd designe 409?
A Crane "blue print" #CRA150441 will do if an original is no where to be found.

BR Lars

409 2nd designe.jpeg

tenxal

Well Known Member
He'd best make sure that his engine already has 583 heads on before he puts that cam in there.It will not work with 690's without a valve spring and retainer changes.

Amen to that, Don.

Been involved in two such fiascos...one with a '63 409-425 that I did for a friend. A self-proclaimed '409 expert' :rolleyes swapped cams later and caused myself and the owner a lot of grief before I figured it out. The other was a pal's '62 409-409 that had the later cam put in as part of the engine rebuild with unmodified 690 heads. Yet another supposed 409 'guru at work. :rolleyes That one really thrashed the valve train. :mad5

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
He'd best make sure that his engine already has 583 heads on before he puts that cam in there.It will not work with 690's without a valve spring and retainer changes.
Buy new springs anyway. Especially if they are GM. Newer material is many times better. If thet had good springs back in the day, there would be 4 times as many blocks out there. My theory is most W's blew up because they breathed so well the outran spring ability. Hence the boat anchor name tag.I ran my flat tappet at 7200 though the eyes with no issues.