1964 409 without the X ?

Looking for information . I am looking at a 1964 409 engine block with a casting number 422 . It does not have a X on the block ! has anyone ever run into this ? The front pad has no numbers or letters ! the owner says it has not been decked ! It is a car block with standard bore . What do you guys think ? Should I be concerned ? Any information or opinions would be appreciated . Thank you.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Check to see if it has ''Armisteel'' main caps on it [it should].If so,then no worries even if you plan to ''pound''[race] the heck out off it.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If it's not cracked and you need a 409 or want another and the price is right, I would buy it and not be concerned.

I'm going too be looking at a 656 block and set of 690 heads. I don't need them but if the block isn't cracked I'm buying it :drinking

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
Have you personally seen the block to confirm its a 422 without an X or is that what the seller is telling you? Perhaps he doesn't understand where the X is located. I put no bearing in the presence of the X.

(Lack of) cracks and machined surface conditions are the important things.

Looking for information . I am looking at a 1964 409 engine block with a casting number 422 . It does not have a X on the block ! has anyone ever run into this ? The front pad has no numbers or letters ! the owner says it has not been decked ! It is a car block with standard bore . What do you guys think ? Should I be concerned ? Any information or opinions would be appreciated . Thank you.